Friday, February 5, 2010

O'DOGHERTY INTERVIEWS McCARTHY (Or, DUMB YAKS WITH DUMBER OR VICE VERSA)

.
The subtitle of this Blog installment is: ‘EVERYTHING YOU NEVER WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT STEPHEN T. McCARTHY AND WERE WISE NOT TO ASK.’ This is the 50th Anniversary Director’s Cut With Bonus Material And Commentary Track. It’s destined to become a much sought-after collector’s item.
.

.
. . . . . . . [Black Cole Kid when he was a kid.]

* Blog Bit Background: On January 22nd, blogger Judy Harper expressed a desire to learn some personal details about Stephen T. McCarthy – stuffs not previously revealed on his Blogs. She wrote: “I would like to see some information on you, the real you!” In an attempt to fulfill Judy’s request, Stephen recently agreed to sit down with journalist Yoey O’Dogherty to be interviewed on behalf of WHAZIT2U? E-zine. What follows is the full text of that interview. All of the questions asked had either been directly submitted to Stephen previously by persons known to him, or were taken from a variety of sources, many of them found elsewhere on the Worldwide Web. In other words, this was a kind of questionnaire pastiche. The sole exception to this formula being “Tapioca?”. Yoey O’Dogherty came up with that question by himself.

O’DOGHERTY: Hello. We’re here today to get the lowdown on wha’z up with Stephen T. McCarthy. Stephen has graciously agreed to sober up long enough to answer some of our questions. Inquiring minds want to learn what makes Stephen so Stepheny. This project has been generously underwritten by the WHAZIT2U? online magazine, and on its behalf, I have collected some questions for Stephen . . .

O’DOGHERTY: Good morning, Stephen.

McCARTHY: Yo. Look, can we make this quick? It’s almost Ten A.M. and I’ve got a drink to— Uhm… That is, I have a plane to catch.

O’DOGHERTY: Sure, Stephen. And thank you for giving us a little of your time so we could conduct this interview. The first thing I’d like to ask you is, what is the biggest problem facing America today?

McCARTHY: Americans.

O’DOGHERTY: How do we fix the economy?

McCARTHY: Why? Is there something wrong with our economy?

I would follow the U.S. Constitution. I would force Congress – a bunch of jerks whose continued employment is dependent upon a satisfied constituency – to accept their responsibility, just as Article One, Section Eight of the U.S. Constitution demands. Rather than allowing Congress to illegally delegate its responsibility to the Federal Reserve – that is, private, international bankers who are not answerable to We The People.

O’DOGHERTY: What’s your political affiliation?

McCARTHY: I’m registered as an Independent. But it would be more accurate to say that I am an “Independent Constitutionalist.”

O’DOGHERTY: Which Christian denomination do you belong to?

McCARTHY: None. I don’t label myself “Christian.” While I have attended a number of various denominational and nondenominational Christian and non-Christian services over the course of my life, I am not and never have been a member of any organized sect or religious body of any kind. My beliefs are more like the aftermath of a Christian Science Laboratory Explosion. You don’t call that “Christianity”, you call it
“Messy-anity.”

O’DOGHERTY: What is your ethnic heritage?

McCARTHY: I’m a mongrel: part Irish, part Scottish, part German, and a Wee Bit O’Mohawk Indian.

O’DOGHERTY: What's the best compliment you've ever received?

McCARTHY: Well, someone called me a “fascist pig”, and another person said I was a “ferret-faced fascist.” Two different fascist animals, but fascist nonetheless. Both of these epithets came from dyed-in-the-wool Liberals, therefore I consider them to be some of the best things ever said about me. I mean, when a Liberal refers to you as a “fascist”, you know you’re doing something right, right?

O’DOGHERTY: How many seeds are on the average strawberry?

McCARTHY: Two hundred.

O’DOGHERTY: Hey, how’d you know?

McCARTHY: I saw it mentioned the other day in the same place you did.

O’DOGHERTY: What is you favorite movie?

McCARTHY: Koyaanisqatsi: Life Out Of Balance.

O’DOGHERTY: What’s the funniest movie you’ve ever seen?

McCARTHY: Overall, probably ‘Planes, Trains, And Automobiles.’ But the single funniest movie scene ever is probably when Ralphie goes to meet the department store Santa in ‘A Christmas Story.’ That always leaves me with tears of laughter in my eyes. I’m a sucker for great black comedy. “I hate the smell of tapioca.”

O’DOGHERTY: Tapioca?

McCARTHY: Never mind; you had to be here.

O’DOGHERTY: Do you prefer—-

McCARTHY: Gin. Definitely gin.

O’DOGHERTY: . . . fiction or nonfiction books?

McCARTHY: Oh. Sorry. I thought you were going to say “gin or vodka.” Nonfiction. Definitely nonfiction. Most fiction reading is a waste of limited, valuable time that could be spent learning important life stuffs.

O’DOGHERTY: What is your favorite book?

McCARTHY: The Holy Bible. Preferably the George M. Lamsa translation from the ancient Aramaic; that’s the language that Jesus spoke.

O’DOGHERTY: How often do you read The Bible?

McCARTHY: I read The Bible nearly every day – three chapters a day but five on the Sabbath. This takes me through the entire Word Of God, from Genesis to Revelation, over the course of a year. I’ve read the entire Bible for each of the last 14 or 15 years of my life.

O’DOGHERTY: Which is your favorite “book” of The Bible?

McCARTHY: 1st John. Defintely the First Epistle of John.

O’DOGHERTY: Why?

McCARTHY: Because I’ve always felt that, encapsulated in just those five chapters, is the entire message of The Holy Bible. I’ve always said that if someone took my Bible from me but left me 1st John, I would still be in possession of the knowledge that Jesus came to “this world” to teach us. If we could only learn to unwaveringly live those five brief chapters of 1st John, we would, in essence, be living the fullness of the message of God and Christ.

O’DOGHERTY: What is the first thing you will say to Jesus when you are face to Face?

McCARTHY: DOH!

O’DOGHERTY: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?

McCARTHY: Probably a few folks do, but most don’t care.

O’DOGHERTY: How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop?

McCARTHY: Three. Well, truthfully . . . the world may never know.

O’DOGHERTY: Who put the Ram in the Rama-Lama-Ding-Dong?

McCARTHY: Oh, come on! If we’re going to do this interview thing then at least take it seriously! Don’t be asking me questions that everybody already knows the answers to.

O’DOGHERTY: What is your favorite song?

McCARTHY: Well, my favorite musical composition of all time is Glenn Miller’s ‘Moonlight Serenade.’ My favorite song – meaning a tune with lyrics – is Norman Greenbaum’s ‘Spirit In The Sky.’

O’DOGHERTY: Stephen, Judy Harper, author of the Blog ‘Sixty Is Just The Beginning’, has submitted seven questions she would like me to ask you. Her questions, as you know, were the inspiration for this interview.

McCARTHY: Yeah. I’d be glad to answer Judy’s questions because she seems like a very nice lady. In fact, she looks a lot like my Mom did at one time. The first time I saw Judy’s photograph on ‘Sixty Is Just The Beginning’ I was kind of shocked by it.

Last Monday, I brought her picture up on the computer monitor and then I called my brother Napoleon over and all I said to him was, “Look at this picture.” I kid you not, he examined the photo for no more than three seconds before saying, “There’s some Mom in her!”

So, yes, I’d be glad to answer Judy’s questions because, heck, she’s almost like family.

O’DOGHERTY: OK. Judy’s first question is: “What do you mean by ‘Non-Profit’? What kind of work is non-profit? With you it could mean out of work?”

McCARTHY: No. On my Blogger Profile Page I listed my career category as “Non-Profit” because I had listed my job as “The Town Drunk” and being The Town Drunk is certainly not profitable.

O’DOGHERTY: Judy asks, “Why do you feel that to get your message across, you have to be so negative about yourself and wrap your posts with so much B.S.?”

McCARTHY: Hmmm… She says “B.S.” like it’s a bad thing.

I’m guessing that when she speaks of me being negative about myself she’s referring to my self-deprecating sense of humor. If so, maybe I should point out that only a person who secretly harbors a good deal of self-confidence can afford to make jokes about himself or herself. A person who truly fears that he is an idiot is not likely to point that out to others. On the contrary, he is likely to hide it and wear a false front of braggadocio. For instance, I don’t really think I’m the world’s biggest maroon. In fact, I’m merely “Dumb.” You, Yoey, you’re really the “Dumber.”

O’DOGHERTY: Hey! Wait a minute!

McCARTHY: That’s not a question. Next question . . .

O’DOGHERTY: Judy says, “One of my favorite people is Dean Martin, a funny, generous man, but not many people knew that he wasn't an alcoholic or drunk. He rarely drank, yet that's how he's remembered. Wonder if that's what he really wanted?”

McCARTHY: Well, I’m sure Judy knows much more about Dean Martin than I do. I do, however, like a couple of his stuffs such as ‘Bells Are Ringing’ and his last movie with Jerry Lewis, ‘Hollywood Or Bust.’ The professional critics pretty much dislike both of those movies, but then I pretty much dislike the professional critics, so THERE!

Yes, I read years ago that despite his reputation, Dean Martin really wasn’t much of a drinker. The story is that he’d stand around all night with the same drink in his hand, but because he was rarely seen sans drink, he acquired the reputation as a big boozer.

This may all be true, but as I understand it, Dean really didn’t do much if anything to discourage the propagating of this boozing reputation and may have even enjoyed feeding it by saying things to help it along. But I’m no expert on Dean Martin.

As for my own reputation as “A Man Of The Sauce”, I’d like to repeat a couple of things I’ve said previously: First of all, any man who drank even half as much as I like to make out that I do, would have died of cirrhosis of the liver a decade or two ago. I trust that the few people who read my stuffs realize this and don’t take all the boozing talk too seriously. It’s true that in my youth I was a major booze hound, but the body can’t tolerate that kind of abuse into the third decade. But as I’ve also said, “When a person finds a shtick that works for them, they shtick with it.”

However, there is also a method to my madness. It may not be a good method, but it isn’t random. I have only revealed this to a couple of people and probably shouldn’t be speaking of it publicly now but . . . what the hell.

I’ve been known to say that EVERYTHING I write is an attempt to make people think about God. Now, someone might ask, “How is writing about drinking, or how is writing really over-the-top wacky things an attempt to make people think about God?”

What I am hoping when I post the loony stuffs is that someone somewhere might come across it and maybe think “Hey, this guy’s a bit interesting” or perhaps they will be somewhat amused by something I’ve written, and out of curiosity, they will begin to explore some of the other things I’ve posted. Well, if they do, I know it’s only a matter of time before they come across some of the things I’ve written about spirituality and religion. And then my hope is that they think, “Whoa! Hold on! You mean this guy believes in God and Christ? THIS crazy S.O.B. knows Jesus?” And then presumably, that gets them thinking that one can actually be religious and still be loony and have a good deal of fun.

You see, I think there’s a misconception out there – and prior to accepting Jesus, I myself entertained this misconception – that once a person accepts Jesus they become some boring, staid, shell of a human being. A lot of people believe that in coming to Jesus you are primarily robbed of your personality. But this is untrue. A lifeless, boring Christian was probably also a lifeless, boring non-Christian prior to finding Jesus. Accepting your Atonement through Christ does not automatically transform everyone into a "Mr. Guder". Oh, to be sure, in embracing Jesus and His principles, your life, your thinking, your values are going to change – they would have to! But you don’t have to abandon your personality. Yes, you’re going to be required to surrender your “life” but you will gain “Life” and you will get to keep your personality – goofy though it may be.

Ideally, I would like people to read some of my stuffs and think, “Wow! I didn’t know you could love Jesus AND be the crazy bastard next door!”

O’DOGHERTY: Judy wants to know: “Why is it important for you to get the message of Jesus Christ across?”

McCARTHY: Who?! Never heard of Him.

Alright, it’s important because, first of all, Jesus really does exist; He really is the Messiah; He really did walk the Earth; and He really was crucified and Resurrected to save us from ourselves by permanently cleansing us of our consciousness of sin and guilt. Accepting the Atonement of Christ is, ultimately, the only Way to God our Father.

Furthermore, I have a great deal of gratitude for what Jesus has done for me in a very personal way. He came to retrieve me when I was totally lost and not seeking Him at all. Jesus came looking for me; I didn’t go looking for Him. I might never have come to Him if he hadn’t voluntarily acted to save my sorry butt.

Beginning in 1992, I had a series of spiritual experiences that, over time, significantly changed my lifestyle and the way I thought. On January 14th of that year, God utilized a sort of Socratic method to force me to mentally convict myself of “missing the mark.” I was lying in bed with the lights out and my eyes closed, preparing to fall asleep, when I suddenly heard a Voice in my mind. It was actually my own “inner voice”, my “thinking voice”, but it certainly wasn’t me controlling it and asking the questions.

The Voice asked me, “Would you be willing to die if your dying would be good for people?”

I quickly answered “Yes” mentally, because it’s true.

And immediately, the Voice asked the follow-up question, “Then why aren’t you willing to LIVE to do good for people?”

I sat straight up in my bed in a heartbeat because I KNEW I had just heard from God and that I was letting Him down and wasting my life.

Over the years, I had a few more spiritual encounters which are nearly impossible to describe because I don’t believe there are any words that can translate into meaningful spoken language some religious experiences. But on April 6th, 1994, I believe that Jesus baptized me with The Holy Spirit, using my own tears for the water. I’ve been trying to live my calling since then with mixed results. But the one thing I can say with confidence is that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior and my Holy King. Jesus is my Big Brother, and “it’s good to be the brother of The King!”

O’DOGHERTY: Judy wants to know, “Is Stephen McCarthy your real name?”

McCARTHY: No, Stephen T. McCarthy is not my real name. And neither is Black Cole Kid, Trummy Tewksbury, Fred Gurley, Mr. Intense, Mr. Twoscoops, Herbert K. Foxglove, Brodie “The Mad Scotsman”, “Lonesome Dogg” McMe, or Louie Banana. These are all pseudonyms and nicknames of mine.

My real name is highly classified information because I work in security for the C.I.A. - they wouldn’t have me in the MAF-I-A. Nah, I’m kidding. Two organized crime families I would never work for are the C.I.A. and the I.R.S. However, I really do work in Security. Not Insecurity, but in … pause … Security.

And by the way, in case anyone was wondering, I based “Lonesome Dogg” McMe on ‘Lonesome Dog Blues’ - an old song by Lightnin’ Hopkins.

O’DOGHERTY: Judy asks, “How about your family?”

McCARTHY: Like myself, my brother Napoleon, or Nappy – not his “real name” either – is a lifelong bachelor. We live together here in Phoenix, Airheadzona. My Sister, who is married with two children – 17 and 20 years of age – lives very nearby in Phoenix but we see each other irregularly. I have extended family in Northern California and in Southern California, where I was born and raised. Also some extended family in Ohio, Kentucky, and Tennessee. But I’m no longer in touch with most of them.

My Pa passed away in 1996, due to an immune system failure after contracting chicken pox, and my Ma passed away in 2005 due to complications from diabetes. I couldn’t have dreamed of better parents; I was always extremely close to both of them and in my adulthood, they were my best friends. I miss them both terribly and look forward to seeing them again some fine day.

O’DOGHERTY: Judy has made this suggestion: “Maybe you should start a calendar so that on Sunday, Wednesday and Friday, you talk about your real passion and Tuesday and Thursday you give us your writing? And then Saturday could be your B.S. day, because I think you really love doing it!”

McCARTHY: What?! Only one day for B.S.ing? Oh, that would never do! I’m starting to get the impression that Judy doesn’t like my B.S.

In truth, I’m afraid a schedule like that would never work for me. First, I couldn’t possibly concoct a new Blog Bit every day. And even if I could, that would quickly begin to feel like a “job” – but worse than a job because there would be no paycheck associated with it.

No, I’m too much of a free spirit to “schedule” my writing; I only write when I feel inspired to write, and even then, I must work on what I desire to say at that particular time. I gotta go with the flow and let it flow when I gotta go!

O’DOGHERTY: We have some questions here from a couple of other folks whom you also know: Arlee Bird of the Blog ‘Tossing It Out’ would like to know: “But seriously, do you believe in reincarnation?”

McCARTHY: Does a Bear sh—-

O’DOGHERTY: STEPHEN!

McCARTHY: . . . shower after sixty minutes of football at Soldier Field?

O’DOGHERTY: Oops. I thought--

McCARTHY: Please! You gotta have a little more faith in me than that.

O’DOGHERTY: Arlee Bird’s secondary question is: “Is there some Biblical evidence that you can provide that supports this idea?”

McCARTHY: Well, of course there is! I wouldn’t believe in it otherwise. And please let rLEE-b know that I’ll be addressing this very topic on my ‘Stuffs’ Blog in a not too distant future post.

O’DOGHERTY: If you had a previous life, . . . who do you think you may have been?

McCARTHY: I was the Queen of Sheba. Rub my feet, slave, and then draw my bath! And don’t forget my rubber ducky with the diamond bill and the ruby eyes!

Kidding. Right now I have only suspicions about a few past lives I may have had. I do suspect I was probably a female in a previous incarnation and also possibly a Black slave in Civil War era America. Maybe these are the same lifetime.

One day I was meditating when some information seemed to come to me about a possible past life in which I was the son of some man in authority in a town or city in Eastern Europe that had lost its sovereignty to a foreign ruling body. It seems like the name Chadslowsky, or something like that, was associated with me and I died of an illness as a very young boy – maybe five, six or seven years old. My notes are tucked in one of my books but I can’t remember now which book. I did a very cursory investigation once and although I had no previous knowledge of this place and era, the initial things I looked into kind of checked out.

But the one possible past life that I have the strongest feeling about is that I was some long-forgotten, anonymous scribe in ancient Israel. I believe I was present when Jesus rode the donkey into Jerusalem and that I was one of those who believed He was the Messiah and shouted “Hosanna!” when He appeared.

O’DOGHERTY: Stephen, Do you wear any jewelry?

McCARTHY: Sometimes a yarmulke or kippah.

O’DOGHERTY: JEWELRY!

McCARTHY: Oh. Sorry. I thought you said “Jewry.” Other than a watch, the only sort of “jewelry” I wear is a silver cross around my neck. It belonged to my Pa and was a gift to him from my Ma. While his breathing was slowing down in the hospital, his nurse went to turn the cross over to me, but I wouldn’t let go of my Pa’s hand so she tucked the cross into my vest pocket. I put it on shortly after he passed away and I’ve been wearing it ever since. Well, except when working out, showering, and sleeping. Hmmm… Come to think of it, I guess I don’t wear it as often as I thought.

It was a great privilege for me to be holding on to the hands of both my parents as they passed away and returned to God.

O’DOGHERTY: Ms. Venus would like to know: “Did you give up your pain?”

McCARTHY: Of course not! No pain, no brain! Show me someone who isn’t in pain and I’ll show you someone who ain’t thinkin’ much.

O’DOGHERTY: What is your favorite color?

McCARTHY: Well now, I guess that makes this an official interview, doesn’t it? I mean, it just ain’t no kinda interview that anyone could take seriously unless the interviewee is axed what their favorite color is. Well, to put the official stamp of approval on this interview, I will tell you that my favorite color is Green. By the way, my least favorite color is red. I love pink though. Go figure.

O’DOGHERTY: Which illegal drugs have you tried?

McCARTHY: I smoked pot just once. For years, a couple of my pot-smoking friends had been pestering me to try it. I really wasn’t interested, but one night I finally relented, only to shut them up. I made them swear that if I tried it that once they would never bug me about it again. They promised, so I inhaled. Yes, I inhaled, thus killing any chance I ever had of becoming President of the United States.

To the credit of my friends, they kept their end of the bargain and never asked me to smoke a doobie again. And oddly, I didn’t feel any effects from the joint I smoked at all.

One other time – in maybe ’81 or ’82 - I had sworn off alcohol for like three weeks. It was the longest three years of my life. While in this process of torturing myself, I was at a party with all my buddies, The League Of Soul Crusaders, and I was the only one not having a real good time. Somebody offered to give me a Quaalude. I remember going ‘round and ‘round inside my mind, debating with myself about whether or not I should take it. After all, it WASN’T alcohol! In the end I finally decided to . . . damned if I can remember. In all honesty, to this day, I can’t recall whether I finally decided to take the Quaalude or not. Sometimes I think I did and sometimes I think I didn’t. Mostly I think I didn’t. . . . Unless I did.

The only illegal drug I ever had any genuine curiosity about was hallucinogenic mushrooms. I never tried them though.

O’DOGHERTY: Have you ever been arrested?

McCARTHY: Once. But not here – in Mexico. On April 23rd or 24th of 1983.

O’DOGHERTY: How did that happen?

McCARTHY: Loudly.

O’DOGHERTY: I mean, how come?

McCARTHY: Margaritas kicked my butt but I refused to say “Uncle!”

O’DOGHERTY: What NFL team are you rooting for in Super Bowl XLIV?

McCARTHY: That’s none of your damned business!

O’DOGHERTY: What Is Your Favorite Sport?

McCARTHY: To play? Baseball. To watch? Women’s Beach Volleyball.

O’DOGHERTY: Who is Your Favorite Artist?

McCARTHY: Edward Hopper. Definitely Edward Hopper. Although there is a number of relatively obscure watercolorists whose works I also dearly love.

O’DOGHERTY: Do you collect anything?

McCARTHY: Yeah. For many years I’ve collected what I call “Motion Pens.” Some folks refer to them as Floaty Pens. These are those souvenir ballpoint pens – usually made in Denmark – with an illustration or picture in a clear plastic segment of the pen’s body. When you tilt the pen, something related to the picture will float back and forth. I have maybe two hundred of these pens. Got from Disneyland, Virginia City, New York, Santa’s Village – you name it.

O’DOGHERTY: Are you sorry for ALL the times you pulled my ears?

McCARTHY: I have never pulled your ears. You’re stealing a line from the movie ‘Who Framed Roger Rabbit.’

O’DOGHERTY: I think you’re splitting hares.

McCARTHY: Next question, please.

O’DOGHERTY: Where you “Popular” in school?

McCARTHY: No. I was daydreaming.

No, I wasn’t popular. I went through school mostly unnoticed. I played on the football team my sophomore year in high school, and I was on the varsity wrestling team my senior year. And I was in the Theatre Arts department, but I was terribly shy and few people knew I was even at the school. But the dope-smokers, they knew, because I was also a member of the Police Explorer program.

It’s undoubtedly hard for some people now to believe that I was ever painfully shy, but it’s true. So, how did I end up like THIS? Search me; I myself don’t know wha’ hoppened. But until sometime after I graduated from high school, I was one of the quietest persons you could ever meet.

In fact, my extreme shyness was the reason I left kindergarten. Once, in a student progress evaluation, my kindergarten teacher told my Mom that I was “antisocial” because of my reluctance to interact with the other children. Well, that was around the time that Oswald had supposedly assassinated President Kennedy. Of course, that’s a lot of Establishment hooey, but we won’t go there now.

Anyway, at that time, the word “antisocial” was constantly being applied to Oswald by the press and in the media generally, and so my Ma took it as an insinuation that I had the traits of a potential president-killer. This disturbed and angered her so much that she did the totally logical thing [*Cough!-Cough!*] : she took me out of school! “Call MY son antisocial, will ya? Well, I’ll show you! – I’ll remove him from your kindergarten!”

If you don’t think that’s funny, you better not go to college!

I now find the whole scenario very humorous and I’ve often referred to myself as “a kindergarten dropout.”

O’DOGHERTY: What’s your personality type?

McCARTHY: I’m glad you asked me that. If you hadn’t done so, I probably would have brought it up myself.

In June of 2008, my buddy Mr. Paulboy Prodigalman the Sixth turned me on to this Jungian personality test. I took it at that time and was categorized as an “INTJ.” That means “Introverted, Intuitive, Thinking and Judging” type. Or to more explicitly put it in their estimation: "Introverted intellectual with a preference for finding certainty. A builder of systems and the applier of theoretical models. 2.1% of total population.”

The analysis breakdown went . . .
Introverted (I) 61.76% - Extroverted (E) 38.24%
Intuitive (N) 57.89% - Sensing (S) 42.11%
Thinking (T) 53.66% - Feeling (F) 46.34%
Judging (J) 61.11% - Perceiving (P) 38.89%

I read their description of this type, and with a few notable exceptions, I thought it pegged me pretty well. I retook the test 14 or 15 months later – in late October last year - and the results were the same. So, both the test and I seemed quite consistent.

The explanation of my results stated two things that really struck me as being entirely correct. It said “INTJs are ever perceiving inner pattern-forms and using real-world materials to operationalize them.” This is something I had absolutely come to recognize about myself years earlier. That really made me sit up and take notice.

Another thing it said was that “To outsiders, INTJs may appear to project an aura of ‘definiteness’, of self-confidence. This self-confidence, sometimes mistaken for simple arrogance by the less decisive, is actually of a very specific rather than a general nature.”

This too struck me as being spot on. I have often felt that a lot of people perceive me to be arrogant when, in fact, there is little or no arrogance in me. It’s just that I KNOW what I know. And I take the time and make the effort to come to a state of Knowing because Truth is very important to me. In fact, it’s about the only thing I’m interested in. To hell with what I want reality to be; it’s only what reality IS that matters. So, I study – and I study hard – and when I come to the point where I can say “Such and such is SO”, I can not only tell you that it’s SO, but I’m convinced I can tell you WHY it’s SO.

I think a lot of people are satisfied to just go on believing what they choose to believe. But, as I’ve often said, "I would rather KNOW an unpleasant truth than BELIEVE a pleasant lie". So I study and I drive on until I am satisfied that I know The Truth about something. That’s not to say that I’m always right. I’m certainly fallible, and I’ve proven that innumerable times. But when I’m wrong, it’s an HONEST wrong; it’s an unfortunate misinterpretation of facts which I believed in good faith that I was contemplating and applying in an intellectually honest way.

But I shall always be grateful to Mr. Paulboy for turning me on to that personality test because it answered a question for me that I had often entertained and been bothered by. It wasn’t until sometime after I had taken the test for the second time that the full implications of the results occurred to me. One day it just suddenly dawned on me why, throughout my life, I have had difficulty relating to most people and why many people have had difficulty relating to me. I suddenly realized, for example, why I have always had few real friends and why my writings and my Blogs do not attract much of a readership.

INTJ is the third least common personality type; it’s estimated that only 2.1% of the total population shares it. In other words, a small number of the people I’ve met in my entire life think very much like I do. If only 2.1% of the population processes and interacts with “this world” in a precisely similar manner, how could I ever acquire a large pool of friends? How could my writings appeal to a significant number of people? How could I affect a large segment of the population? Is it any wonder I’ve always been a misfit, and even a misfit among misfits?

So, in a way, this personality test sort of gave me some newfound peace of mind because it logically explained why everyone hates me.

OK, that last bit was a joke, but you get my point.
I am intensely curious to see all of my friends take this same test at some point, and interested in having them share their results with me. I would find learning what personality type all of my friends are very fascinating. Most of them, I’m guessing, must be “outsiders” like I am or they probably wouldn’t maintain a friendship with me and vice versa.

O’DOGHERTY: Who’s your favorite movie star?

McCARTHY: What kind of a question is that? John Wayne, of course! Although I should say that, in my opinion, James Dean is actually the most gifted actor this country has ever produced.

O’DOGHERTY: Where’d you get that scar you got on your shoulder, father?

McCARTHY: I told you, Cal - it’s an old wound I got from the Indian campaigns. Why do you ask that now?

O’DOGHERTY: Hey, you did that really well.

McCARTHY: Thanks. Yeah, I’ve seen that movie more than a few times. It’s one of my favorites.

O’DOGHERTY: Who is the most beautiful woman of all time?

McCARTHY: Oh, it’s Gene Tierney! Definitely, definitely Gene Tierney! Unless you mean on the “inside”, and then we be talkin’ Mother Teresa.

O’DOGHERTY: What is your greatest weakness?

McCARTHY: My lust for ice cream.

O’DOGHERTY: Did you mean . . . gin?

McCARTHY: Right. Gin, vermouth and green olive ice cream.

O’DOGHERTY: Who is your favorite writer?

McCARTHY: I’ll have to mention two: Mark Twain and Henry David Thoreau. Twain makes me laugh and think. Thoreau makes me think and think.

O’DOGHERTY: Name your favorite TV shows.

McCARTHY: Hokey-Smoke! You mean you don’t read my ‘Stuffs’ either? Sheesh, man!

O’DOGHERTY: Do you have a favorite quote?

McCARTHY: Oh, sheesh! I have a hundred and one favorite quotes. In fact, I probably have a hundred and one favorite quotations just from The Bible alone. Statements like “God is Love” and “The Kingdom of God is within you.” But if I had to narrow the list to just one non-Biblical quotation, it might be what Tiny Tim said in 1970: “Most of all, I’d love to see Christ come back to crush the spirit of hate and make men put down their guns. I’d also like just one more hit single.”

If you don’t think that’s funny, you better not go to college.

O’DOGHERTY: What is it you most dislike?

McCARTHY: Cops ... feminists ... feminist cops. Politicians. Lawyers. Liberals. International Bankers. The San Francisco Giants. Everyone in Hollywood. The Council on Foreign Relations. The ACLU and other Communists. Did I mention cops and feminists?

O’DOGHERTY: Who is your hero?

McCARTHY: You mean after Jesus? From among the mere mortals? Senator Joseph McCarthy.

O’DOGHERTY: What is something most people don't know about you?

McCARTHY: Well, that I’ve been a vegetarian since 1985. I ain’t no freakin’ Vegan though; I eat dairy products and OFTEN! Also, that last October, I really did become a sincere Tiny Tim fan. That probably surprised ME as much as anyone! A heterosexual man has to be supersecure in his masculinity to publicly admit that he’s a big Tiny fan.

O’DOGHERTY: What is needed in a road trip car?

McCARTHY: You have to take Pat Metheny. I mean, compact discs by Pat Metheny. I simply can’t drive an automobile without Metheny music.

O’DOGHERTY: Are you a winner or a loser?

McCARTHY: I’m mostly a loser, but even the losers get lucky sometimes. Or, as Tiny Tim said, “Even a .243 hitter wins a ball game once in a while.”

O’DOGHERTY: Do you have any regrets?

McCARTHY: Regrets? I’ve had a few. But then again, too few to mention.

O’DOGHERTY: How do you think you will die?

McCARTHY: Loudly.

O’DOGHERTY: No, I meant, by what method?

McCARTHY: Oh. My government will murder me - that’s a no-brainer. But it’s the American way, so who am I to argue? Although, of course, God could decide to rapture me out of here before Uncle Sam gets me, but I’m not putting all of my eggs into THAT Easter basket!

O’DOGHERTY: If you could live your life over, what would you do differently?

McCARTHY: Well, Lord, have mercy on me! – I hope I never have to reincarnate again! But if I do, next time I’m DEFINITELY going to be a musician. I’m going to play the Hammond B-3 organ fiery and funky like Brian Auger does, and I’m going to write songs praising God and Christ Yeshua.

O’DOGHERTY: How would you like to be remembered?

McCARTHY: Oh, I suppose for being a fairly decent human being who attempted to learn and promote The Truth in “this world.” I’ve tried, but not nearly as diligently as I could have, to do what I was meant to do. I’m supposed to be reflecting God’s Love on all of my Brothers and Sisters at all times by walking in Peace through the activity of forgiveness. I’m mostly a failure, but I’d like to think that I’m a fairly likeable failure. Hopefully God will take that into consideration.

O’DOGHERTY: How Truthful Are You?

McCARTHY: Well, everything I’ve said in this interview is true.

O’DOGHERTY: Really?

McCARTHY: Uhm… 98%. But I rounded it up to “everything.”

O’DOGHERTY: Who're you rooting for in the Super Bowl?

McCARTHY: Oh, c’mon, man! Who do you THINK I’m rooting for? How could a man who is a big fan of Senator Joseph McCarthy and Tiny Tim – the most downtrodden of the downtrodden, the underdogs of underdogs – not root for the New Orleans Saints? I mean, here you have a team whose fans once wore paper bags over their heads at the stadium so no one would recognize them as Saints fans; whose most frequently axed question during the week was “Who Dat? Who Dat gonna beat dem Saints on Sunday?” How could I possibly not root for the “Aints”?
.
Not a lot of people realize that the Saints were officially announced as a new franchise in the National Football League on November 1st, 1966. November first is celebrated by the Catholic church as “All Saints Day.” One would think that this was an omen of good things to come for the team. One would be dead wrong.

But even if I didn’t feel some sympathy for the “N’awlin Aints”, I’d still have to root for them in The Big Game because I’m really a Miami Dolphins fan. But to quote Ol’ Waylon: “I don’t explain if you don’t understand.”

I agree that the Indy Colts should be established as the favorites, but I’d say by no more than 3 points. Even so, I believe the Saints are gonna win because my brother Nappy called me the other day to tell me that he saw a dude walking down the street wearing a Larry Csonka Miami Dolphin’s jersey. I’m taking that as a sign that destiny has sided with the “Aints.” Also, for little apparent reason, I woke up this morning with the name Nick Johnson in my mind. Nick Johnson played for the New York Yankees, so this too leads me to think the Saints will win. And no, “I don’t explain if you don’t understand", but tell them that you heard it here first on Roller Derby.

O’DOGHERTY: Is there anything you'd like to add?

McCARTHY: Not at all; my math skills are atrocious.

O’DOGHERTY: We thank you very much for your time and cooperation, Stephen.

McCARTHY: Yeah, alright. Say, could you give me a ride to the liquor st-- airport? Could you give me a ride to the airport?

O’DOGHERTY: Sure, Stephen. Sure.

~ Yoey O’Dogherty

Yoey O’Dogherty is a Peabody And Sherman Award-winning documentary filmmaker and professor emeritus at the Saint Balderdash School of Journalism in Bumphuhk, Idaho, where he lives with his three wives, sixteen little red noses and a horse that sweats.

YE OLDE COMMENT POLICY: All comments, pro and con, are welcome. However, ad hominem attacks and disrespectful epithets will not be tolerated (read: "posted"). After all, this isn’t Amazon.com, so I don’t have to put up with that kind of bovine excrement.

Links:

'Similar Minds' Personality Questionnaire

Test Result Definitions & Explanations

How Frequent Is Your Type?
.

14 comments:

  1. That was quite the epic interview chock full of some interesting and some absurd information, as one might expect on your blog.

    I also took that test (or one similar to it) that you were talking about but I don't recall my results. In fact I started reading a book about the whole thing but I don't think I ever finished it.

    I really like the answer about Dean Martin and the testimonial story.

    Now I will await the reincarnation defense.

    Thanks for revealing so much about you. Now we know so much more about you -- or do we?

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. `
    >>[Thanks for revealing so much about you. Now we know so much more about you -- or do we?]<<

    rLEE-b,
    I'm glad you liked it -- or did you?

    Yes, now you know so much more about me. After all, 98% of what I said was the truth. It's just up to you to determine which 2% was B.S. (But, all joking aside, it shouldn't be difficult because the 2% is OBVIOUS. Anything that isn't OBVIOUS balderdash is plain ol' truth.)

    Yak Later, Bro.
    ~ Stephen
    <"As a dog returns to his own vomit,
    so a fool repeats his folly."
    ~ Proverbs 26:11>

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the interview! The responses to the questions seemed to be well thought out and sincere, well most of them anyway! lol I think you did present a small insight into who you are. You're wrong about BS. I like BS, unless used in excess, but I know from personal experience, that young shy people who dealt with this in school, particularly high school, use BS as a shield to conqueor shyness. Good interview and post! Gene Tierney is one of my favorite actor's as well, especially her movie "Laura", the best mystery movie ever! I loved what you said about regrets, you know they should make those words into a song! lol Finally, I'm impressed by your explanation of why you want to get the message of Jesus Christ across. It is so well written. Thanks for presenting an insight of who you are. Well if you can't write a scheduled post every day, could you set aside one fixed day to write about your serious posts, whether fiction or nonfiction, that way we can weed out some of the BS. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. `
    >>[I liked the interview!]<<

    I'm VERY PLEASED to hear it, Judy. After all, THIS Bud was for you!

    >>[The responses to the questions seemed to be well thought out and sincere, well most of them anyway!]<<

    Oh, they were, they were! I'm ALWAYS thinkin', J3. And that's the reason I occasionally take a drink. Sometimes I really need to get out of my mind. (Well, you try being locked up in here 24/7 and see how YOU like it!) However, I almost never drink to the point of drunkenness. I am well aware of what The Bible says about that, and that's why I always stop drinking at the first sign of being unable to locate my mouth with the bottle.
    ;o)

    >>[I think you did present a small insight into who you are.]<<

    "SMALL" insight?! Are you kidding? If I had displayed any more of myself I would have been arrested for indecent exposure!

    >>[I know from personal experience, that young shy people who dealt with this in school, particularly high school, use BS as a shield to conqueor shyness.]<<

    Well, let me assure you that's not the situation in my case. My shyness was conquered and buried so long ago that even its bones have turned to dust.

    >>[Gene Tierney is one of my favorite actor's as well, especially her movie "Laura", the best mystery movie ever!]<<

    I have seen "Laura" a couple of times and probably should buy a copy of it. But my two favorites are "The Ghost And Mrs. Muir" and "Heaven Can Wait."

    >>[I loved what you said about regrets, you know they should make those words into a song! lol]<<

    Maybe God would even resurrect Ol' Blue Eyes and we could get him to sing it. (He's buried in the plot right next to my Shyness.)

    >>[Finally, I'm impressed by your explanation of why you want to get the message of Jesus Christ across. It is so well written.]<<

    Ahhh! Thank YOU! Hearing you sa-- ...Er. I mean, "seeing" you say that makes all of the work that went into creating this Blog Bit worthwhile. Thanks, J3!

    >>[Well if you can't write a scheduled post every day, could you set aside one fixed day to write about your serious posts, whether fiction or nonfiction, that way we can weed out some of the BS. lol]<<

    HEY!!! B.S. is like oxygen to me! What, are you trying to kill me here? Or do you want to deny me just enough oxygen to cause me brain damage? Can you even imagine what I would write while suffering from brain damage? (No, I didn't think so.)
    ;o)

    ~ "Lonesome Dogg" McMe
    (aka Black Cole Kid)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, there was a lot of insight, but not being able to see your face and eyes, I'll have to wait to see if all I gained is real! lol I like the fiction you write, so I guess I'll have to come and check out your sight everyday to see if you're posting any! Well, that came out wrong, I like what you write, I'd just like to see more of your fiction. Well, fiction that focuses on other characters besides Stephen McCarthy. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. EXCELLENT! I admit I've been waiting for this interview myself. : )


    I'm at work this Monday morning, not working, but laughing out loud. The few people here who don't already think I'm crazy, now do. Much Thanks STM, much thanks.

    WP

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Judy!-Judy!-Judy!" - J3!
    I'm not sure I know what you mean when you say that you like the fiction I write. What "fiction" are you referring to? Seriously. Off the top of my head, I can't think of ANY fiction I have posted on this Blog other than the short story "The Legend Of Cordes Junction." Is THAT what you are referring to? Or something else? This Blog has featured almost exclusively nonfiction (as far as I can remember). So, whatchu talkin' 'bout, Willis?

    ~ "Lonesome Dogg" McMe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, it's MR. BREEZE! MR. BREEZE has blown in to leave a comment. He's probably already gone with the wind though.

    Ol' WP, my Kalamata Br-O, where have you been, Brother? Dang, man. You come and go so quickly that I never have a chance to enjoy any dialogue with you anymore.

    Well, I'm really glad to know that you dug this interview. It was difficult for me to sit still so long for it, especially since Yoey O'Dogherty has such bad breath, but . . . I managed to do it for Judy.

    Hey, Buddy, you left me a comment on another Blog Bit about a week and a half ago. I forget now which one it was, but by the time I could post a response, you were already gone with the wind again. Whooooosh!...

    Yeah, your newest official nickname is now "Mr. Breeze." Back in my youthful partying days, we had a friend named Danny. We'd all be at some party and Danny would be right there having a good time with everyone else, but it seemed the moment you looked away, HE WAS GONE. He'd cut out and leave for parts unknown in the blink of an eye. Everyone was always saying, "Where'd Danny go? He was just here a second ago." Well, Torch eventually nicknamed Danny "Mr. Breeze." But now YOU are the new Mr. Breeze!

    I wish you'd stick around longer. And I wish you'd tell me WHERE you made your Christmas Day Wish For Tiny Tim so I can add your name to the Tiny Tim Wish Fulfillment Team roster. How 'bout it, WP? ... WP? ... Where'd he go? ... WP?!!

    ~ "Lonesome Dogg" McMe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoooooshh!...

    On Christmas afternoon I took my nieces on a little tour of my hometown here in CT "Uncle WP" style.

    I showed them some of the "fun spots" of my youth. One of those spots being Coopers Pond where we'd all skate and play hockey (insert your favorite "black guy playing hockey?" reference here).

    Unfortunately or fortunately depending on your perspective, old Cooper was not frozen over so I used the opportunity to make the "silliest of wishes for my silliest of friends".


    ...Whoooooshh! WP

    ReplyDelete
  10. `
    >>[insert your favorite "black guy playing hockey?" reference here]<<

    Ha! Well, I suppose I can believe it since "Bo Knows Hockey" too.
    :o)

    Alright, Mr. Breeze. Thanks! Tomorrow, I shall add your name to the honorable list of Tiny Tim Wish Fulfillment blokes and blokettes. Yer a good man, man!

    ~ "Lonesome Dogg" McMe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why, hello, Helen!
    You've visited both of my Blogs now. How nice to see ya aGinn!

    You know, when you spoke of "Irn Bru" on my F-FFF Blog, I thought that sounded like some fancy sort of champagne or somethin'. But after a lot of intensive, time-consuming research (I Googled it), I discovered that Irn Bru is just a brand of soda pop!

    Then I thought to myself: That Helen McGinn has a lot of nerve mentioning sody pop on one of my Blogs! You see, ordinarily I don't allow any liquid not at least 6% alcohol to be mentioned on a Blog of mine.

    Well, ya snuck one past me, Helen. Good for you. I guess there's a first time for ever'thing.

    ~ "Lonesome Dogg" McMe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Stephen:

    Funny stuff!

    It is always good to see something involving the ubiquitous Yoey O’Dogherty (the man has so many occupations). Please say “hi” for me when you see him next.

    And, what an adorable picture of the young Stephen! Thanks for sharing this. Believe it or not, I have a picture of The Aardvark wearing a “Dale Evans” version of that outfit. Must have been quite a popular theme at the time.

    Cheers. . . ~The Aard~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, I wants to see the picture of Dale "Aardvark" Evans. When ya gonna send me a copy? How long does I hafta wait?!

    Actually, Aard, that photograph of Black Cole Kid could have been taken just yesterday! I still look and dress exactly the same. Only difference is that now I'm half an inch taller and there's grey in my beard.

    Uhm... well... I guess back then I didn't have any facial hairs. S'pose I'm putting the grey before the beard in the same way that I sometimes put the cart before the horse.

    I certainly will pass along your greeting to Yoey the very next time I sees him, Aard.

    Thanks fer yer comment.

    ~ The "Lonesome Dogg" Kid

    ReplyDelete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.