Monday, September 7, 2026

THE GOOD, THE BAD, THE UGLY & THE DOGS! (Or, PLAN C FROM OUTER SPACE)

[*Note 'N' Stuffs: This blog bit was inspired by a comment-versation I've been having with Brother Charles... 
Carl... 
Carter... 
Carlton... 
Camden... 
Casey... 
Carson... 
Cyrus... CYRUS?!?!?!  
Well,... let's just call him C. M. Cardinale, whose blog > 'The Unexpected World' y'otta check out. I'm-a dedicate this blog bit to him because he seems like a really nice guy and because it costs me nothing to do so. 😉] 
.
C.M. Cardinale and I are muy big movie fans, and I recently attempted to show him a photo of my DVD collection - twice - but, the Internet being what it izn't, he wazn't able to view the photo. So, I told him that I had a Plan C, and this blog bit is that third (and final) Plan. 
.
And I figgered that if I'm going to post a photo of 98% of my DVD collection on this blog, I oughta at least attempt to make it amusing, or entertaining, or... one of those words that end with ing. This stuffs below is my attempt to rise to the ing level. 
.
Here is (most) of the DVD collection of a multi-faceted, anti-normie weirdo -- the good, the bad, the ugly & the dogs:
.
.
Oops! Sorry. That was a photo of where Edwin's dog pissed on the side of my house. (Shirley you can understand how I'd make a mistake like that, right?)
.
TAKE TWO: 
.
[Click on the image to make it look a wee bit more impressive.]
.
To see that image even bigger & clearer, click HERE.
.
What you see there is stuffs from [link> 'AIRPLANE!' to 'ZEITGEIST DESTROYED: Shattering The Myth That Christianity Is Based Upon Ancient Astrology' (to partially quote Robert Barone: "Good luck to you" trying to find that DVD in 2026!) 
.
Let's explore a small smackerel of the stuffs found in-between the A & Z, eh? Let's do it category by category.
.
THE GOOD: 
.
Well, what I think is good and what your mother-in-law thinks is good are protly different things. So, just to be fair, I'll toss in movies (in no particular order) that appeal to maverick me, and some that also appeal to the masses. (Helck, even the masses get it right from time to time.) 
.
Tom Sawyer (the 1973 musical starring Johnny Whitaker & War And Peace Warren Oates). 
.
[Two thumbs up!]
.
And... Tortilla Flat (A+. This one has everything: wine, women, song, dogs, miracles, the Wizard of Oz, & my Ma's highest recommendation!); East Of Eden (1954); It's A Wonderful Life; Dead Poets Society; Harvey; His Girl Friday; Roman Holiday; Casablanca; American Graffiti; Sunset Boulevard; Field Of Dreams; The Man Who Would Be King; My Fair Lady; Life Is Beautiful; The Sting; On The Waterfront; The Sound Of Music (except I hate that nun's song!); Singin' In The Rain; The Wizard Of Oz; The Thin Man (the entire series - all six pictures); and, naturally, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.
.
THE BAD:  
.
OK, pay attention, because understanding this category can be a bit tricky. By "BAD" I do NOT mean "bad". What I mean is that these movies might seem to be bad based upon their titles, reputations and/or misunderstood themes. These "bad" movies are all good (some are really good) in my unimpeachable opinion, and I thinks y'all should see them before the world comes to an end, or before 2029 - whichever comes first. 
.
The Devil And Miss Jones (But no, but no, but NO! - it's NOT a porno movie! The porno movie - 'The Devil IN Miss Jones' - slightly modified its title and stole its thunder... so to speak. But the original classic starring Jean Arthur, Charles Coburn, and the *real* Santa Claus, whose real name is Edmund Gwenn, is perhaps my #1 all-time favorite 'Screwball Comedy')... 
.
Altered States; On Borrowed Time; My Bodyguard; The Life And Times Of Judge Roy Bean; Dead Again; The Shootist (John Wayne's best performance!); Better Off Dead; Dr. Strangelove (unquestionably the high-water mark of 'black comedy'); The Wild Bunch (it's not my favorite Western, but it's probably the greatest); Blazing Saddles; One From The Heart; Crossroads ("Forty dollars ain't nothin' to sneeze at!" & "Muddy Waters invented electricity!"); Birdy; Born Yesterday; Mary Poppins (1964); and Song Of The South (which is my #1 favorite animated movie!) 
.
Also, Ferris Bueller's Day Off (primarily because my Sister appeared in it)... 
.
[That's my sister, Bonehead, giving the teacher the "stink-eye" in 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off'.]
.
I would be remiss in failing to mention the first film in the great time-travel trilogy, Back To The Future, which my brother appeared in...
.
[That's my brother, Nappy, standing & smiling just to the right of Michael J. Fox -- i.e, he's the dude on the left-ist side of the screen... despite the fact that there's nothing even slightly "leftist" about my brother, and if you say anything to the contrary, he will knock your block off and mail it to Bruce Springsteen c/o San Francisco!]
.
THE UGLY:  
.
What I mean by "ugly" is... these are some of my favorites that most folks would categorize as "Guilty Pleasures". In other words, they're not cinematic masterpieces - and in most cases, they are very low budget movies - but, nevertheless, I really enjoy watching them. I can honestly say that I get as much (if not more) pleasure from watching some of my "Guilty Pleasures" as I do from viewing some of my favorite A-List films. 
.
Hollywood Or Bust, released in 1956 was the final Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis collaboration, and not only is it my very favorite "Guilty Pleasure" movie, it's actually one of my Top 10 favorite movies of all time, period. How come that? I could easily write a full-length blog bit 'splaining the 101.5 reasons Hollywood Or Bust (HOB) appeals to me so much. Various places, people and things in this movie remind me of many details related to my youth, so it's like a Waybac Machine trip to Happyland for me.
.
In a recent comment to me, C.M. Cardinale wrote, "Thanks for taking my mind off the world for a bit!", and that is precisely what HOB does for me! It's my ultimate escapist picture, and it's safer & healthier than drugs. Whenever this dirty, rotten, stinkin' world starts to bum me out, I immediately reach for HOB. (I've only watched it 25 times in the last five years.) 
.
Some other favorite "Guilty Pleasure" movies for me are... 
.
The Spirit Of '76 (if you were a groovy dude or chick during this country's Bicentennial celebration, you really gotta see this crazy, stupid and funny trip back in time to "the most embarrassing decade in history"); Hollywood Shuffle (This shit could really happen!); I'm Gonna Git You Sucka; A Mighty Wind (the same cast and almost as funny as 'This Is Spinal Tap'); Heldorado & Under California Stars. Those last two movies give us Roy Rogers, along with Dale Evans, Trigger & Gabby Hayes. I grew up watching Roy & I love him still; he's a cherished part of my childhood, and those are my two favorite R.R. movies. The first one is seriously funny; the second one is so bad, in a very cheesily endearing way, that it's funny, too. Roy Rogers called the villain a "no-good guy", which is probably the nastiest thing he ever said to anyone. Guffaw-Out-Loud! 
.
THE DOGS:  
. 
OK, these are those which are just so gosh-dern bad in every possible way that they're kind of fascinating. You know, like the proverbial circus train wreck that you just can't help looking at and being ashamedly amused by the sight of the lions eating the dead clowns and the elephants playing with their peanuts.
.
Plan 9 From Outer Space & Glen Or Glenda? Well, truthfully, you could include just about every movie made by Ed Wood. I actually own the pink faux-angora Ed Wood boxed set, which was a gift from my dear ol' Ma! She knew and accepted how *different* I always was. (I don't mean "different" in the Liberace & Elton John way. I don't play piano, I don't tickle them ivories, and I "don't mess around with Jim".) 
.
FUN FACT: I actually met Vampira (Maila Nurmi) once at a small, exclusive gathering of James Dean fans at Kenneth Kendall's house in 1988, after his bust of Dean had been unveiled & dedicated at the Griffith Park Observatory in helL.A. 
.
The Room -- This one was a gift from my friend Julio Seis-Abeja. Taking ALL of the elements of filmmaking into consideration, this certainly has to be one of the worst movies ever made. Even so, I don't *hate* it, like I do some others I've seen which were technically better made. It's almost comically atrocious.
.
THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY:  
.
I own only one movie that falls under all three of those categories, and that movie is... 
.
The Good, The Bad & The Ugly 
.
If you didn't see that coming... well... you just might like 'The Room'. 
.
BONUS MATERIAL: 
.
I own a number of movies that I really dig 'n' like 'n' love which have been largely forgotten in the 21st Century, and I want to recommend some of them to you now.
.
Koyaanisqatsi - This was my #1 all-time favorite movie for 39 years. Today, I have it at only a measly #2. You can see it for free at ScrewYouTube. This one literally changed the way I saw the world.
.
.
Did I mention that the Western is my favorite film genre? Well, it is. And Ruggles Of Red Gap is a 1935 Western comedy that no one seems to know today, but it's a silly hoot! It stars Charles Laughton and the hilarious Roland Young. 
.
Speaking of Westerns, Rustlers' Rhapsody was written and directed by Hugh Wilson (the same man who gave us WKRP In Cincinnati) and I think it may be the most underrated / forgotten comedy today. It stars Tom Berenger & Andy Griffith and has a unique & humorous musical soundtrack. The problem is, the viewer likely needs to have a fairly decent understanding of the history of the Western movie genre in order to really understand all of the inside jokes. To me, the "*confident* heterosexual" scene is off-the-charts hilarious!!
.
I know you don't believe what I'm saying, because I can hear your snorting. Don't believe me? Then click HERE and watch the scene where Blackie learns that he was "out of order".
.
Then again, Defending Your Life may be the most underrated / forgotten comedy today. It's a story about what happens to people after they die, therefore it probably qualifies as a 'black comedy'. It stars Albert Brooks & Meryl Streep, but Rip Torn as a conniving Defense Attorney absolutely steals the show! What a hysterically funny lost gem of a movie. 
.
I am shocked - SHOCKED! - to know how many people are unfamiliar with 1970's Scrooge, starring Albert Finney. Yes, we all know the story, but you don't know it the way it is told in this marvelous musical! It is funny, quirky, and beautiful. And it's my #1 favorite Christmas movie. (Sorry about that, George Bailey.) And as my Xma$ gift to you, I'm allowing you to watch if for free right > here.
.
For about two decades I have had a couple of 'daily reminder' quotes from Scrooge taped to the back of my bedroom door:
.
. 
Speaking of shockingly unknown free movies, I must mention The Woman In The Window. It's a very obscure Film Noir directed by Fritz Lang, in which Edward G. Robinson gives what I think is probably his best performance. It starts out light 'n' easy but then the noose starts tightening, the walls start closing in, and the desperate claustrophobia becomes palpable to the viewer! And then... and then... well, that's all I'm gonna tell ya. But youz guys 'n' gals can watch it for free > here. 
.
Waking Ned Devine is a thoroughly C&D movie (charming & delightful) about Irish people and a dead man's winning lottery ticket. There is a classic 'black comedy' scene toward the end which is hysterically funny and literally unforgettable! 
.
When my dental hygienist learned that I really liked & owned Somewhere In Time, she could scarcely believe it. It was one of her two all-time favorite movies, and she said she'd never before met a man who had even heard of it (...therefore, I suspected that she had immediately fallen in love with me, forcing me to find a new dental joint).
.
Somewhere In Time combines Romance & Time-Travel giving us a fantastic story about timeless love. Unfortunately, there are some plot holes so large that an entire fleet of Waste Management garbage trucks could be driven through them side-by-side! I simply pretend that I don't see those holes and somehow manage to enjoy the movie regardless. 
.
My good friend Nitro Wilbury Babskiddo (now residing in Heaven) made me aware of The Big Short. Of the limited number of movies I've seen which were released in the 21st Century, this is the only one I consider to be an outright masterpiece of filmmaking. (Well, perhaps 'Slumdog Millionaire' also.) If you want to understand what happened to the economy in 2008 - and which will soon happen again, only much worse - you need to see this one! It's simultaneously entertaining & educational. 
.
Let's go West, young man (and you cowgirls, too)... The Westerner (1940) stars Gary Cooper, and one of my very favorite character actors, Walter Brennan,  who plays Judge Roy Bean. This laconic dramedy lopes along in a relaxed way right up to the pert-near shocking finish. I would describe this movie as the anti-'Tombstone' Western - it's about 180-degrees different from that famous Kurt Russell / Val Kilmer oater, but you must see it anyway. "That's it. That's muh rulin'!" 
.
I stated above that I think 'The Wild Bunch' is the greatest Western, but it's not my favorite. That honor goes to the mostly unknown Monte Walsh (1970). This movie inspired me to give my "Countess" her nickname. (The "Countess" made me aware of several films that are still amongst my most beloved today.) I believe that the review I wrote for Monte Walsh was one of my ten best, and you can find it here > Dead Men Riding. 
.
Another review you might wish to read is 
.
Unquestionably, the greatest TV Western series ever made was Alias Smith And Jones. (Don't even mention Bonanza, Gunsmoke and Maverick or I'll fill ya full of lead!) Kinda-sorta loosely based on Butch & Sundance, Smith & Jones (not their *real* names), notorious bank and train robbers, are attempting to go straight in order to gain a pardon from the governor. Sounds simple enough, right? What they discover is that trying to abide by the law is more difficult than robbing banks and trains ever were. 
.
Alias Smith And Jones had it all: terrific characters, great charisma, and E-Ticket writing with complex storylines, lots of humor and some utterly fantastic plot twists! This is one of my very favorite TV shows of all time. Very sadly, after 33 episodes, actor Pete Duel (a.k.a. Hannibal Heyes / Joshua Smith) committed suicide, and although the show went on, it wasn't worth watching anymore. (Kinda like trying to watch 'The Andy Griffith Show' after it switched from black & white to color.) 
.
How about DOCUMENTARIES? Do I like 'em? You bet yer mama's favorite slippers I do! Let's start with the most surprising documentary that I really dig: 
.
Mad Hot Ballroom (2005) -- Tough guys don't dance... and neither do I - "not a lick" (to quote Thelma Lou). I've got all the rhythm of Deputy Dawg falling into the creek mud! Sometimes I even have trouble stumbling properly after a night out on the town with Nick Charles. 
.
.
BUT!... I love Mad Hot Ballroom. How come that? Well, it's funny & wonderful, but the DVD box explains it better'n I could: 
.
6,000 Kids, 60 Schools, 
10 Weeks, 1 Dream! 
Mad Hot Ballroom is the award-winning film that follows New York City fourth and fifth graders as they journey into the world of competitive ballroom dance. Told from their candid and hilarious perspectives, they learn that dance is not just about a few steps - it's about life. ... typical urban kids merengue, tango, rumba and literally transform themselves into "ladies and gentlemen" as they prepare for the highly anticipated, final citywide competition. 
.
Back when I was a wanna-be actor, my role model was James Dean. How come that? Well... helck, ain't you seen any of his movies?!?! I thought he was the best, most inventive actor ever. And I still do! There have been a lot of documentaries made about Dean but my favorite goes all the way back to 1975 with JAMES DEAN: The First American Teenager. It is highly entertaining and features interviews with Sammy Davis Jr., Natalie Wood, Dennis Hopper & the aforementioned Kenneth Kendall (at whose house I met Vampira from 'Plan 9 From Outer Space'). The soundtrack includes Rock gems by The Eagles, David Bowie and Elton John (who plays the piano, who tickles them ivories, and who messes around "with Jim" 😉). .
.
Seriously, this is a documentary that does justice to Dean's remarkable, God-given talent.
.
{*Special shout-out to my dear, Dear, DEAR friend the ~Flyin' Aardvark~, who bought this documentary for me, and a good number of the other DVDs in my collection.*}
.
Below is the opening few minutes of JAMES DEAN: The First American Teenager, and Kenneth Kendall is the guy who makes the comment about how living movie stars seem to be only capable of disappointing their fans: 
.
.
The Singing Revolution is another movie that Nitro Wilbury Babskiddo (better known online as FarAwayEyes or FAE) turned me on to. It's a very spiritually inspiring story described like this: 
.
"Estonia's coveted position between Europe and Russia has lured wave after wave of occupiers. The nation's darkest chapter dawned in 1939 with the arrival of the Soviets. It seemed this time that the Estonian nation might vanish completely; yet the Estonians waited, and fought, and sang - and ultimately survived."
.
The New York Times (who usually suck worse than a death-rattling soldier dying in Korea) said: 
.
"Imagine the scene in Casablanca in which the French patrons sing 'La Marseillaise' ... and you've only begun to imagine the force of The Singing Revolution." 
.
The Discovery Of Noah's Ark (from Reality Zone / American Media can be found > here). Back in my early twenties, when I was an uninformed, self-assured know-it-all (in other words, back when I was just like everyone else in their early twenties), I disbelieved The Bible primarily because of the obvious fairy-tale about Noah's Ark.
.
It's a long, miraculous story but... at the age of 34, I became a (Maverick) Christian, without even considering the "impossibility" of the "silly" Noah's Ark legend. Over the following years, I was shamefacedly enlightened regarding a whole lotta things that I had been ignorant about, including Noah's Ark. 
.
Today, I believe in Noah's Ark and the other "impossible" stories in The Holy Bible to the exact same degree that I disbelieve the stories about American astronots driving a dune buggy on the Moon and human beings having evolved from pond scum in San Francisco a godzilla-ion years ago... or in the 'Summer of Love', whichever came first. 
.
Let us not forget  Idiocracy , the outlandish comedy that time and satan transformed into a documentary about the United States. President Camacho... President Trump... To quote from Cheech y Chong: "It's all the same thing, man." 
.
Dear Readers, I thank you for your attention to this matter.
.
TTFN and WP&Z! 
.
~ Stephen T. McCarthy
.
Blog Bit Made In Willoughberry, U.S.A.

13 comments:

  1. Rupert -

    As always, your writing is a pleasure to read. Filled with information, presented in a casual and familiar fashion but with unexpected turns, the blog pulls us along and makes us want to watch all these movies... except perhaps "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest." No thank you.

    And you are always so optimistic! You said: "And then... and then... well, that's all I'm gonna tell ya. But youz guys 'n' gals can watch it for free > here. " They can watch... but if only they could find the suggestion! If only there were any guys and gals that could READ and wanted to read your blog. They don't read. They can't read. And even if they could they would somehow have to find your blog... which is no doubt blocked by every search engine known to man or AI.

    Most of the movies you love are ones that I have seen and I love also. There are some I only like and just a few I don't care for at all.

    I was fascinated to see Napoleon in Back to the Future! I had no idea he was in there. I have noted that face before but had no idea it was him! I knew Bonehead was in Ferris Bueller, and you in M.A.S.H. Your family can say they appeared in some of the iconic movies or TV shows of all time. That is pretty cool! It is too bad that none of you stayed in it and became the next Tom Cruise. Well, maybe not, now that I think about it!

    Sixgun McItchyfinger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SIR SIXALOT ~

      I thanks ya bigly fer the kind words, McBrother!

      Even so (as you know), I think you're kinda cuckoo regarding your misinformed view about what is without doubt one of the very greatest, most uplifting films ever made, but... to each their own. You have Rush & I have Tiny Tim, and all is right with the world (Hee!-Hee! All is right with the world... and that's why Jesus is returning soon to whack the crap out of it with a rod of iron and turn it right-side up!)

      Ha! Yes, sir, I have the receipts proving that my blogs are shadow-banned to the Nth degree. That's how much the elite fears me and the influence that I *could* have if not for their interference.

      [Psst! That's the first time I've used this newfangled term "have the receipts", which is apparently the new "lol" and "sorry, not sorry". I didn't like it; it left a bad taste on my fingertips, so you sha'nt see me using it again. But I figured I owed it at least one underdog shot at the title.]

      OK, so, other than 'Cuckoo's Nest' (which you walked out on before the ending), what are the few movies I mentioned in this post that you "don't care for at all"?

      There's an even better bit featuring Nappy from an episode of (the preposterously awful) 'Hill Street Blues'. I should find that one and share it wid ya.

      Sincere thanks again for the complimentary stuffs you said about my writing. I do practice it occasionally - like, maybe once, twice, three times a lady-- er, I meant to say "year", not "lady".

      ~ Rupert Van Commodoresman

      Delete
  2. Relentlessly entertaining piece! And thank you ever so for the link and kind mention! So many movies (and some TV) that I'm now convinced I must see before I split outta here. Also, it was awesome seeing your siblings on the big screen. They did a fantastic job. Awesome read, STM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brother CYRUS ~

      [FUN FACT: When I wrote that name while composing this blog bit, I was definitely in my pure Stream O'Consciousness mode. So after typing "Cyrus", my analytical mind suddenly burst into the foreground and questioned it, and forced me to type "CYRUS?!?!" I truly did *not* know where that name came from. And then suddenly, I realized that it's the name of a prominent character in 'Tom Sawyer' (1973), which is the movie that dethroned 'Koyaanisqatsi' after 39 years.]

      I'm as pleased as spiked punch that you enjoyed the blog bit. Originally, I was simply planning to embed a photo of my DVD collection, but then my inner Mr. Toad stepped in and took over, and it was turned into this rather long ramble about many movies I enjoy so much that I had to own them.

      BTW, tonight I bought another DVD from Alibris.com that I should have purchased many years ago. This is a movie that my entire family saw at a drive-in theatre in 1966 or '67, when I was 7 years old. I've seen it a few more times since then and I really enjoy it. It's a very light-hearted & heartwarming comedy titled 'The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming!' I would have DEFINITELY included that nearly forgotten film in this blog bit if... it was in my collection at the time of posting.

      I suspect you'll enjoy it, and you can see it for free at ScrewYouTube.

      Thanks again for being the inspiration behind this blog bit.

      ~ D'DogG
      (Who doesn't tickle ivories, nor messes around with Jim... not that there's anything wrong with that. :-)

      Delete
    2. :-)

      And thanks for the extra recommenderos...

      Delete
  3. WOW, you really put some thought into this post! You have quite an interesting collection of movies. You have a goof ball sense of humor like DH and surely proved it to me with the mentions of Airplane and Blazing Saddles. I have to admit BS is absolutely hilarious. The first time I watched it, the campfire scene left me clutching my side obviously in pain but I just couldn't stop laughing. Sometimes something comes up to remind either of us and we'll have a good laugh.

    Your library contains a number of flicks we've seen and enjoyed, but you mentioned a good deal of films, mostly old ones I don't remember at all. Westerns aren't my favorite but I do like 'em. I just have to be in the mood. Of course back in the day when Clint Eastwood ruled the screen in The Man with No Name series. Those were truly awesome. Speaking of Clint a few months back, we watched an oldie Paint Your Wagon. I'm sure you've seen it, but that was a fun film. Lee Marvin was quite funny and I had no idea Clint could sing.

    Ferris Bueller's Day Off is one of those movies we didn't see at the time it came out but finally got around to it in recent years on one of our streaming services. I actually remember your sister's face. We went to the theatre to see all three of Back to the Future films. We not only have them on disc, DVD or Blu-ray, but bought streaming versions dirt cheap from Apple one year at Christmas. How cool is it that Nappy was an extra! Acting sounds like a fun gig but I truthfully I wouldn't want to be in the business especially today. They are too many screwballs in the industry.

    As always your post was an entertaining read. If Hollyweird weren't so far gone, your writing style and sense of humor would be great for comedy scripts. You'd offend too many to be sellable which is such a shame. That's the problem with Hollyweird, they are more concerned about the liberal narrative then they are making quality entertainment anymore. So sad! Oh well...let me split. Thanks for sharing your link to swing over to check this out. I think I may have to skim over the movie titles again to see if there's anything we might want to try to watch. Have a blessed day, Stephen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy, CAThy! It's That YOU! ;^D

      Thanks for visiting and commenting. (Which is a lot more than I can say for the other 8+ billion people on this planet!)

      Yes, I most definitely have a goofball sense of humor. 'Course you already knew that. I inherited both of my parents' senses of humor, so I appreciate everything from W.C. Fields and Laurel & Hardy to Monty Python & Benny Hill to clever wordplay and the brilliance given to us by the writers of 'Frasier'.

      Since DH loves Airplane! and Blazing Saddles, make sure he also sees 'Better Off Dead', if he hasn't already. OH!, and 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles', which is probably the most overall funny movie I've ever seen.

      Yes, I've seen 'Paint Your Wagon', which the Countess ranked as one of her major favorites.

      Speaking of the Countess, in 1989 & '90, the Countess and I went on a massive Western movie kick which culminated in our own Western movie guide book, some copies of which were actually sold at a local video rental store. When we learned that 'Back To The Future III' was about to be released, and that it was a Western, we knew we *had* to see it. The problem was that I'd never seen parts I & II, despite the fact that my Brother appeared in the first one, and my Sister had been Lea Thompson's stand-in for that entire shoot.

      So, the Countess and I rented Parts I & II and watched them in two consecutive nights, and then the third night, we went to the theatre together to see Part III. That was a great way to do it, since all of the details in parts I & II were really fresh in my mind while watching the final installment in the theatre.

      Yes, Hollywood is essentially satan's playground, and I'd have nothing to do with it now. Which is sad because I actually have a terrific story I could turn into a screenplay for what would become a very popular 1980s-themed movie. But for a couple of different reasons, I will never write it.

      Thanks again for your E-Ticket comment, my friend!

      ~ D'DogG

      Delete
    2. >> and my Sister had been Lea Thompson's stand-in for that entire shoot

      Way cool.

      Also: Plane, Trains, and Automobiles. Absolutely. Hilarious and, in the end, humanity-affirming stuffs.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I truly *LOVE* the ending of 'P,T&A'. You get this laugh-out-loud movie with a brilliant cast, and then you get that beautiful, old-fashioned, heartwarming ending that puts the perfect icing on the cake. One of my Top 25 Favorite Movies of all time.

      ~ D'DogG

      Delete
  4. I've finally gotten a free moment to type out a comment, so let me start by parroting the others and saying this was a fantastically entertaining read and a wonderful look at your collection, of which I'm pretty sure I have seen all of the ones you named (and almost certainly because you recommended them to me). My thoughts, otherwise, in order of appearance:

    1) The way those doors are open so perfectly in your collection picture almost tricked my eyes into thinking you had a DVD Lazy Susan in the style of a revolving door. I don't think such a thing exists, but maybe it should?
    2) I never really thought of HOB as an escapist picture, but I see what you mean after describing it. I know for sure HOB and Hollywood Shuffle would be on my guilty pleasure Top 10, but... the rest? That's another rabbit hole for another day.
    3) I'll have to admit, as I was reading, I kept chuckling to myself and wondering where you would place The Room. The Bad? Oh, no, not THAT kind of bad. The Ugly? Nope, not THAT kind of ugly. But as soon as I saw The Dogs, I knew I'd BETTER see that godawful trainwreck mentioned. You did not disappoint. GOL! WM and I still quote that movie to each other. "It seems to me like you're the EXPERT, WM!" "Everybody betray me - I'm fed up with this wooorld." Good times.
    4) I don't know if you blogged about this before, but how was meeting Vampira? I can't figure out if she would be just as eccentric/campy in real life, or the exact opposite and only ever 'turned it on' for her persona.
    5) Once I reached Idiocracy, all of my remaining thoughts just ejected out of my head. That's it, no' mo'. Not sure why, but it's cool, there's plenty of tards out there living kick ass lives. My first wife was tarded. She's a pilot now.

    ~Chief Julio (living his best tard life)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JULIO SEIS-ABEJA ~

      I really appreciate and bigly dig yer comment. Thanks for finding the time to visit and to leave E-Ticket feedback.

      The cabinets that hold my DVD collection are probably the only nice looking things in my bachelor's pad.

      I have more "Guilty Pleasure" movies than I listed here, but those are my favorites. I wish I could have written about more of the movies I really dig, but I knew this blog bit was probably too loooong already.

      I wanted to say something about a couple of the very few Horror movies I like and own, such as 'The Sentinel' and 'The Wicker Man' (1973), which Cinefantastique (whoever they are) called, "The Citizen Kane of horror films". Nappy and I have an expression we sometimes use: "Damn! Those were Wicker people!". We came up with that line upon visiting Oatman, Arizona, for the first time. Sometimes we'll just pass someone on the street and one of us will whisper to the other, "Wicker!"

      I seriously doubt I would be able to get through the coming Apocalypse without 'Hollywood Or Bust'.

      The best thing I can say about 'The Room' is that at least Tommy "Wicker" Wiseau is a James Dean fan, as evidenced by the 'Rebel Without A Cause' line he stole ("You're tearing me apart!").

      Honestly, Maila Nurmi seemed rather normal; there wasn't anything she said or did that night that stands out in my memory as being odd (or "Wicker-ish") in any way. I do remember that she didn't have a car, and needed a ride to her apartment after the night came to an end; and living in helL.A. without a car seems almost impossible to me, but obviously she managed it, at least for awhile.

      Yeah, seriously... President Camacho leading up to President tRUMP, if that's not predictive programming, I don't know what is!

      ~ D'DogG

      Delete
    2. GOL! Not sure if you saw this, but what a timely blog post/comment. We've come full circle. President Camacho 2028 - Make Printing Money Great Again! https://www.youtube.com/shorts/vgNsxxWUHw0

      Delete
    3. I had not seen that, and it's hilarious! Thanks for the link. We probably need to rewatch 'IDIOCRACY' again soon, so we'll be reminded of what's coming next.

      Unfortunately, I can hear tRUMP's thinking in my own mind, and it goes like this: "Since I never did actually send the taxpayers that $5,000 DOGE dividend check earlier, if I send them $5,000 now, it's like a savings of $5,000 per person. I'm an economic genius!!"

      Honestly, it feels kind of painful and lonely when I consider the fact that 90% of Americans are complete stoopnagles!

      Maranatha!

      ~ D'DogG

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.