Tuesday, March 6, 2012

“ELEVEN, ONE LOUDER” (Or, “ELEVEN QUESTIONS AT THE ELEVENTH HOUR”)

.
“Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.”
~ Michael Corleone
.
My friend Julie Fedderson of the blog Gypsy In My Soul’ has challenged me in her blog bit titled 'Eleven, One Louder'
.
..
["ELEVEN, . . .]
.
.
[. . . ONE LOUDER!"]
.
Gypsy Julie has posed 11 questions to “11 questionable bloggers”, and one of those named is . . .
.
“Stephen T. McCarthy at Stuffs (just 'cause I'd love to hear the answers and we share mad love for Spinal Tap)”
.
I don’t ordinarily participate in the “Awards And Tagging” games here at Blogspot, but when Julie (unquestionably one of the most entertaining bloggers I “Follow”) asks me to, and even makes reference to me in the same sentence with ‘Spinal Tap’, that’s an offer I can’t refuse. So, here goes . . .
.
1: Paper or plastic?
.
Normally, neither. Whenever it seems feasible, I prefer to shoplift what I want. But when paying for an item becomes absolutely necessary, I usually hand over paper Federal Reserve Notes rather than my plastic credit card.
.
2: What cartoon do you still secretly enjoy watching?
.
It’s a little known cartoon called “Super-Stephen”. By day, Stephen T. McCarthy poses as mild-mannered blogger Filbert J. McDouwe.
.
.
But at night, he peels off his jacket to reveal his spandex superhero costume and is instantly transformed into 'Super-Stephen', defender of old hippies and helpless French people!
.
.
Uhm . . . yer not buyin’ it, are ya? 
.
Well . . . "would you believe" . . . 'Deputy Dawg' and 'Foghorn Leghorn'?
.
Actually, the question seems to imply that I probably ought to feel mildly ashamed about watching cartoons. The truth is, however, that most cartoons (at least of the “Old-School” variety) are more realistic than are most movies being made in Hollywood these days. So I feel no shame at all about my cartoon-watching.
.
'Deputy Dawg' and 'Foghorn Leghorn' were legitimate answers, but the best answer is: ‘ROCKY & BULLWINKLE’. I own on DVD all five seasons – every single episode – of ‘ROCKY & BULLWINKLE’ :
.
.
3: If you could pick up an instrument and immediately know how to play, what instrument would you choose?
.
Well, it wouldn’t be so easy to “pick up” the instrument that I would choose: A Hammond B-3 Organ.
.
4: What is the song that most defines your personality?
.
Oh, now THAT’S easy – a piece of pie (‘cause I like pie better’n cake).
.
In late 1978, when I was 18 or 19 years old, I heard my first Waylon Jennings song. It was played on my Rock ‘N’ Roll radio station of choice – KMET, ‘The Mighty Met’ – in Los Angeles. I immediately recognized the song as a personal anthem and within days I bought my first of plenty o' Waylon albums.
.
I have changed a great deal over the decades since then, but I still can’t think of any other song that better defines my personality. My personal anthem remains . . .
.

.
.
I've always been crazy and the trouble that it's put me through
I've been busted for things that I did, and I didn't do
I can't say I’m proud of all of the things that I’ve done
But I can say I’ve never intentionally hurt anyone
.
I've always been different with one foot over the line
Winding up somewhere one step ahead or behind
It ain't been so easy but I guess I shouldn't complain
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane
.
Beautiful lady, are you sure that you understand
The chances you’re taking loving a free-living man
Are you really sure you really want what you see?
Be careful of something that's just what you want it to be
.
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane
Nobody knows if it's something to bless or to blame
So far I ain't found a rhyme or a reason to change
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane
.
5: What’s your anger style?  (i.e. simmer and steam, etc.)
.
I’m a very easygoing kind of guy, and a person would pretty much need to deliberately set out to piss me off to piss me off. So, it goes a bit like this:
.
Overlook, forgive, overlook, forgive, overlook, forgive, (my lips get tight and then...) BIG BANG!
.
6: What do you think will be the downfall of modern society?
.
You mean it hasn’t happened yet?
.
Certainly ‘Apathy’ and ‘Self-Centeredness’ have played critical roles and will continue to do so but, really, the best answer is ‘IGNORANCE’ :
.
My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.”
~ Hosea 4:6
. 
“Therefore My people are gone into captivity, because they have no knowledge.”
~ Isaiah 5:13
.
I’ll be alright, however, as long as beer and wine remain available.
.
7: What is the best character name you’ve ever come across?
.
Oh, gosh, there are so many I like – all of them goofy and/or humorous. W.C. Fields was known for using crazy pseudonyms and character names (e.g., Larson E. Whipsnade in ‘You Can't Cheat an Honest Man’, and Egbert Sousé in ‘The Bank Dick’).
.
And I like giving loony nicknames to some of my friends (e.g., Flying Aardvark, Boidman, Mr. Sheboyganboy Six, Nitro Wilbury Babskiddo, 
et al.).
.
But a couple of real big favorites of mine come from episodes of ‘The Andy Griffith Show’ (TAGS).
.
In one hilarious episode titled ‘Convicts-At-Large’, actress Reta Shaw plays the leader of a group of female inmates who have escaped from a women’s prison. Her character’s name is Maude Tyler, and in the show a dispatcher informs the viewers through a police radio that she stands 5’6”, weighs 175 pounds, and her various aliases include: Big Maude Tyler, Clarisse Tyler, Maude Clarisse Tyler, Annabelle Tyler, and 
Ralph Henderson. (If you don't think that's funny, you better not go to college!) 
.
In another great TAGS episode titled ‘Barney’s First Car’, little old actress Ellen Corby (best known as Grandma Walton) plays the leader of a gang of car thieves. Her name is Myrtle “Hubcaps” Lesh. That’s classic stuffs!
.
If you’re looking for a “real” character name (as in a book of fiction), I think Uriah Heep from the Charles Dickens book ‘David Copperfield’ is hard to beat.
.
8: What is your most bizarre beauty ritual?
.
Being a dudeguy, I don’t really have any “beauty” rituals. But I do believe in keeping my nose clean. Which explains the 15,562 cotton swabs I have stored in my bathroom.
.
9: What is your favorite scent?
.
I love the smell of Grey Poupon in the morning.
.
10: Could your Significant Other identify you by just one body part, and if so, which one?
.
Well, sadly, there hasn’t been a “significant other” in a long time. Unless, of course, we’re counting Ariel Airhead, the inflatable girlfriend whom I occasionally go to bed with, but even she won’t let me touch her! 
.
.
I do have a distinctive birthmark on my left forearm, by which I could be easily indentified. However, I’m pretty sure this question is seeking a more “salacious” answer, and not wanting to disappoint anyone, I will disclose this: 
.
When I was perhaps 19 years old, I developed a couple of cysts, one in my neck and one where I sit. While the former cyst was removed in an out-patient procedure, the latter one required a stay in a hospital of two or three days.
.
As a result of that old surgery, I have a small piece of flesh missing from my seat, as if a junkyard dog caught me stealing hubcaps one night with Myrtle Lesh in a wrecking yard and the dog managed to get himself a bite of my arse while I was scrambling back over the fence.
.
11: What moment in your life would have won the $10,000 on America’s Funniest Home Videos?
.
Honestly, I don’t think I myself experienced a moment that could have won the $10,000. Maybe the best I can come up with off the top of my head was the time I was about 13 years old and on a family vacation.
.
I was suffering from a cold, and so I felt congested, discombobulated, and my mental faculties were even more dull than usual. We had stopped at a restaurant for dinner – it may have been called The Sportsman’s or something like that, and located in Bishop, California, or nearby.
.
After ordering something from the menu, the waitress asked me, “Do you want Supersalad?”
Well, I’d always been good about eating my vegetables and I’d never yet had a salad I didn’t like, so I figured I’d probably enjoy Supersalad – whatever it was. Therefore I answered, “Yeah, alright.”
The waitress asked me again, “Supersalad?”
I figured she hadn’t heard my answer, so I replied, “Yes, please.”
“Would you like Supersalad?” the waitress repeated it yet again.
So now I’m thinking this woman is either deaf or dense, and I said loudly, “Sure, I’ll try it!”
.
That’s when everyone at the table – my Pa, my Ma, my Brother and Sister – they all erupted and started shouting at me: “DO YOU WANT SOUP OR SALAD?!”
.
In an instant I realized: Uhp!  I'm an idiot! Talk about embarrassed. (At that point what I really could have used was a double-martini - hold the Ranch dressing.)
.
But I gotta say, a couple of the funniest stories I could tell didn’t actually involve me personally. For instance, there was the time when my Brother Nappy, probably a 4th grader then, was attending a Halloween carnival at our elementary school. He was dressed as a pirate, and at one point he had an unfortunate mishap: the large purple feather protruding from his pirate hat collided with the moist, pink cotton candy he’d been eating. I’ll spare you the details, but it still cracks me up!
.
Another incident I can’t even think about without GOL ('Guffawing Out Loud') involved my Cousin Johnny, who was a few years younger than I was. It was I who turned Johnny on to Rock ‘N’ Roll music when I was a teenager; years later, it was Johnny who introduced me to the movie ‘This Is SPINAL TAP’ – so we’re “even Stephen” now.
.
.
Johnny got so into music that he eventually became the lead singer for several Rock bands; he also played some mean harmonica and was always the principal songwriter in the bands he fronted. My Cousin also had A-list Rock star looks. In fact, his music went from being so bad to so goodso fast, that I once feared he had sold his soul to the devil at the Crossroads in exchange for talent, a la the great bluesman Robert Johnson. If there was any justice in this world - if it were always the most talented artists who make it big - Johnny would have been hugely popular, a major Rock star.
.
But when he was young and struggling, maybe 19 years old, for awhile Johnny had a job where he went from high-rent office to high-rent office along famous Sunset Boulevard, selling late morning snacks to overpaid corporate office workers.
.
One morning, while pulling his carts and ice chests up over a curb on that legendary street, some of them toppled over and one or two bagels managed to break free. Sunset Boulevard is not entirely level, it slopes gently downward from the west toward the east, and when those bagels got loose, they started rolling like tires down the street. My Cousin Johnny gave chase.
.
So now imagine that you and a friend or two are tourists from Bumphuk, Iowa, and you’ve traveled all the way to Hollywood, California; you’re walking along the famous Sunset strip, and you’re there to see all the glittering tinsel of Tinsel Town and hoping to catch sight of a celebrity or two . . .
.
But what you see instead is this lanky, long-haired teenager, running down Sunset Boulevard, chasing a couple of rolling bagels, and the guy is shouting, “I HATE this job!  I HATE this job!”
.
Oh, Lord knows, I couldn’t even type that without GOL! Try to tell me that wouldn't be a $10,000 winner on 'America's Funniest Home Videos'. 
.
[Well, there are your answers, Julie. I hope I didn’t disappoint.]
.
~ Stephen T. McCarthy
.
YE OLDE COMMENT POLICY: All comments, pro and con, are welcome. However, ad hominem attacks and disrespectful epithets will not be tolerated (read: "posted"). After all, this isn’t Amazon.com, so I don’t have to put up with that kind of bovine excrement.
.

27 comments:

  1. GYPSY JULIE ~
    Are you also familiar with the movie ‘A Mighty Wind’? Basically, the same actors that you find in ‘This Is Spinal Tap’ do the same thing for Folk music that they did for Rock music in ‘Spinal Tap’.

    An old friend of mine, A-DogG, turned me on to ‘A Mighty Wind’. I own it now on DVD and have probably watched it five times. Each time I watched it I came to enjoy it more and more until, now, I like it almost - almost - as much as I do ‘Spinal Tap’. If you’ve never seen ‘A Mighty Wind’ before, I INSIST YOU CORRECT THAT OVERSIGHT! It’s truly great, hilarious, outrageous – hell, it’s ‘Spinal Tap’ without the spandex.

    Julie, in your blog bit ‘Eleven, One Louder’, you wrote the following:

    >>...“And that just sounds amazingly testosterone filled, and if I get to be something else for a day, I think I want to be a man so I can try to understand the motivation and thought patterns of the burlier sex.”

    Some time back, I posted a blog bit here at STUFFS titled ‘Why Men And Women Can’t Understand Each Other’ (Or, ‘Wossamotta U?’). It featured a few videos by a guy named Mark Gungor, in which he explained the differences between the way men and women are wired in the noggin. He not only NAILS IT, but he is EXTREMELY FUNNY! I’m sure you would appreciate it. And to read/view it, all ya gotta do is CLICK HERE.

    Enjoy, Gypsy Julie . . .

    ~ Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Spinal Tap reference and I love your answers as well buddy. Awesome stuff Stephen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe someone got YOU to participate in a meme!

    "Ralph Henderson." Hilarious!

    And I totally agree with you that ignorance is going to be the ultimate downfall of our society. Or has already started to be. Or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that's what I'm talking about! I was thoroughly titillated by your answers, and any reference to men in spandex missing chunks of their anatomy is always appreciated. I only hope Johnny then fed the Sunset Strip seasoned bagels to some unsuspecting corporate suit and tie type as he hassled his employees about TPS reports a la Office Space.

    I have seen A Mighty WInd--I do love me the Christopher Guest movies. Best in Show is probably my 2nd favorite to Spinal Tap, though.

    I agree, the "stick your head in the sand and it won't hurt you" mentality that pervades our culture now--as well as the insanity of trying to buy the American Dream at your local discount store--is a key factor in what has driven us to become separate box dwellers without connection to each other. I'll be hunkered down in my home theater/fallout shelter with a good bottle of pinot when the zombie apocalypse comes.

    But my favorite answer is your song--Waylon Jennings is one of my favorites. I grew up listening to him on 8 track as we drove to Grandma's in our big black Chrysler New Yorker and felt like a Nashville princess. This song is on regular play on my iPod because it's one of my defining songs, too. Because you can take a lot of crap in life if you're just a bit left of center yourself.

    I'm so happy you played my game. It's been a pleasure getting to know you over the net waves, I can truly say I've always had to think when I come visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Filbert:

    Another STMc mystery solved and it was Myrtle who done it.

    I gotta say, your cousin seems funny, but that video show and I would pay big bucks for the last leg of the McCarthy twins 'Reno Road Trip'. (I'm laughing so hard thinking about that post, I can hardly type)

    BTW what did you do, send the entire 'harem' to Netflix for 'Monte'. A 1970 movie with a 'very long wait'. Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. MATTHEW ~
    Thanks, McBuddy, for stopping by with yer kind words. You do wonders for my self-esteem, Bro!


    KAREN ~
    Yes, highly unusual for me to participate in a game of "Tag", but when Julie mentioned me in the same sentence with 'Spinal Tap' it was a done deal.

    And as far as the "downfall of our society" goes, we have already tumbled so far, and the really sad thing is that the vast majority of Americans are still, even now, totally oblivious to that fact.

    There's a light at the end of the tunnel, but IT IS an oncoming "Train". It may be a "Slow Train", but it IS "Coming"! [Not sure if you'll pick up on it, but there's a musical reference hidden therein.]


    GYPSY JULIE ~
    Ya know, funny you mentioned that because I myself always thought: 'Why bother running down the bagels... unless you're still planning to sell them later.' HA!

    Yeah, I too have seen (and liked) all their movies, but I have 'Best In Show' third, after 'A Mighty Wind'. The latter really grew on me, and my appreciation for it doubled just about every time I saw it, until now it's second to 'Spinal Tap' by no more than the width of spandex.

    Yep, I loves me some Waylon, and not just that song. I got to see him perform 4 shows at three different venues, and despite having seen more Rock concerts than I could possibly remember and count (including Springsteen maybe 3 times) I consider Waylon to be the best, most charismatic musician I ever saw on a stage.

    To steal a line from Eeyore:
    "Thanks for thinking of me."


    BABSKIDDO ~
    >>..."Another STMc mystery solved and it was Myrtle who done it."

    I know what you mean and, yep, you got it!

    "The McCarthy twins 'Reno Road Trip'."? Uhm... do you mean the trip to Payson that you commented on the other day? Or you talkin' 'bout a different trip?

    We did take a trip to Reno that I recall posting about, but I can't remember now what that was titled or where on my blog I would find it. But I remember writing about how Brother Nappy wanted to buy the cross that was hanging around the neck of some buxom cocktail waitress. Is that the trip you're referring to?

    >>..."what did you do, send the entire 'harem' to Netflix for 'Monte'. A 1970 movie with a 'very long wait'. Sheesh!"

    Ha! No. All I can think is that a lot of Western movie fans waited a long time for that one to get released on DVD and so maybe there's an unusual demand.

    And then again, maybe NetFlix hasn't really acquired a copy of it yet. Do they say how long a wait it will be? (I could loan you my copy, maybe, but I'd want it back purdy dern soon.)

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked your answer about the downfall of society. My mother has always said that we pay a greater price for ignorance than we do for sin, and that strikes me as applying here, especially after your Biblical verses. I always thought society was ignorant, but the last couple of years I've also discovered my own ignorance. Oh, well. I am sure I have more to learn yet.

    As for your character names, I think that Bob and Ray came up with some great ones. They are very subtle, though. Charlie Chew, Artie Schermerhorn, Elmer W. Litzinger (spy), Commander Neville Putney, Wing Po (itinerant philosopher), and Matt Neffer (boy spotwelder). Hundreds more.

    When I owned telephone directories I always put fake names in it with addresses that led back to me. That way if I got mail for them I would know who was stealing my mailing list and I'd contact them and order them to stop. Among those names were Hrundi Bakshi, Ray N. Carnation, Rosetta Stone (at one time this was clever... only educated people had heard of it, and "software" of any kind, let alone "Rosetta Stone" software was still 20 years in the future), and Rex Mundi. I had a dozen more that might come to me with thought. Not worth thought, however.

    Finally, I join the chorus of affection for Christopher Guest films. What a genius, as are all the players!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Filbert:

    Payson, Reno, you guys are such gad-abouts I get confused. The 'twins' should clarify things. The waitress in Reno - was that the one you were about to 'drop your religious convictions for'. Maybe I'm confused again, that doesn't sound like you at all.

    Still working my way through ST&V posts. Reading them all at once, has the trips and stories running into and over each other.

    BTW smile more. Somewhere in there you posted a picture from 'Happy Days'- I think. It's a profile and you're trying to cover it up with your hand but you are definitely smiling. You're a handsome guy when your serious, but that smile-WOW!

    'Monte' better stay at home. With the mail down here, who knows what could happen to him. Besides with the postage to send him back and forth, it would probably be cheaper to buy a copy. We'll see how long Netflix takes. They only say 'very long wait' no time estimate given. I could get lucky. (Ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. SHEBOYGANBOY 6 ~

    >>..."I am sure I have more to learn yet."

    Don't we all? Let he who has nothing left to learn cast the first encyclopedia set!

    >>..."I think that Bob and Ray came up with some great ones."

    Oh, yeah, definitely! None of theirs came immediately to mind when I was trying to think up an answer to that question (and I don't think I would have replaced any of those I chose with any of theirs), but I DO DIG the names they used. As I've told you before, I consider them certifiable comedic geniuses (and I use that g-word sparingly).

    HOWEVER... I DID have a passing thought about 'Bob & Ray' while composing this blog bit! When answering the question about what cartoon do I still enjoy watching, I initially had the idea of calling "Super-Stephen" something different: "Stephen, The Wonder Dog".

    True story, Brother, true story!

    In fact... I think I SHOULD have gone with my first impulse and named it "Stephen, The Wonder Dog". But probably only you would have understood the reference I was making.

    ~ Stephen (The Wonder Canine)

    ReplyDelete
  10. N. W. BABSKIDDO ~

    >>..."The waitress in Reno - was that the one you were about to 'drop your religious convictions for'. Maybe I'm confused again, that doesn't sound like you at all.

    HA! YEAH, THAT'S IT!

    How'd you find that one offa 'S.T.& V. R US'? (Did I link it?!?!)

    But I think I just remembered what it was called... Does "Notes About An Un-Noteworthy Vacation" ring a bell?

    I'm thinking that's the one. I can't hardly remember anything about it, except the cocktail waitress with the cross and... wasn't there something about young, female gymnasts from China?

    If so... I thought that one was especially funny. (I know it's in poor taste to laugh at one's own jokes, but...)

    Oh yeah, the picture from "Happy Days". Well, thanks for the really, really nice compliment(!) but... I was NOT trying to cover the smile with my hand. That was a VERY CANDID shot... I don't even know who took it. I know who Emailed it to my Brother, but I don't know who took it. (Probably not the same person who Emailed it.)

    And I wasn't even aware it was being "took" when it was took - so I certainly was not attempting to hide a smile from the camera; it's just the angle the picture was taken from.

    That picture kind of creeps me out a little bit though. Remember our comments about certain people (me included) who are like chameleons in pictures - always looking very different?

    Well, the first time I saw that picture (which was no more than a few weeks before I posted it), I thought I looked like Tom Cruise in it.

    Then a few weeks later, my Sister saw it and she said: "You look like Tom Cruise in that picture."

    Which I guess is a good thing since some chix seem to think T.C. is a good-looking guy but... I never did.

    >>..."'Monte'...Besides with the postage to send him back and forth, it would probably be cheaper to buy a copy."

    Yeah, that's a good point. And you know what?... I wouldn't hesitate to buy you your very own copy and send it to you... if it were ANY movie but THAT ONE.

    'Monte Walsh' is just so, So, SO personal to me, and has such meaning to me, and not only to me but to a woman I was once sorta "engaged to be engaged to", that I couldn't buy you a copy without feeling that someone somewhere was "cheating" on someone somewhere.

    (And believe me, I'm not AT ALL sure who it would be who was cheating on whom, nor where the "somewhere" was where the "someone was cheating on someone somewhere" [uh... was?], but regardless... it's just "one of THOSE kinds of movies" for me. Just WAY TOO PERSONAL to purchase for anyone not already nicknamed "The Countess".)

    Has anyone anywhere ever nicknamed you "The Countess"? If so, I'll buy you a copy and mail it. If not, I think you'll just have to wait for NetFlix to get off their lazy arse and send it.

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    POSTSCRIPT: This is the most confusing comment I ever composed. WTF did I say? Even I am not quite sure, but "someone somewhere" probably knows. The Shadow? The Shadowette?

    ReplyDelete
  11. NO WAY ~ Tom Cruise never looked as good as that smilin' guy on the Happy Days set.

    Channeling Cap'n Jack from 'Pirates' there, or is it a take on my 'space in your space, space in your head' blog, or is it the graveyard shift from hell. Whichever, that's a very nice thought about Monte, but NEVER cheat on your memories. Generally, they are much better than the real thing.

    Interesting, that you would ask about being nicknamed 'Countess'. I'll tell you about it one day, not necessarily a happy memory for me.

    Anyway...I think that's the right 'trip'. I must have found it through ST&VRUS, that's the only place I've been stalking you.

    Be warned about something - I have a new address. I'm back to residing in a PO Box. I've spent most of my adult life in a PO Box, it was nice to have an actual physical address for a few years, but it was really only a box at the condo complex anyway - not like the postman ever brought mail to my door. Now I'm sounding like Cap'n Jack. YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a season of rocky and bullwinkle. Which my wife hates but I had to purchase when our little man was born. One of the best of all time in my opinion.

    br'er Marc

    ReplyDelete
  13. NITRO ~
    Ha!-Ha!
    To quote Bill Cosby of old:
    "Ri-iii-ght!"

    Well, whatever looks I might have had once are "gone with the years". All I have left is a lot of grey hairs, a grey goatee, eyeglasses with thick lenses, arthritic fingers and wrists (just begging to be slit), the hotel/casinos in Atlantic City and Rio, the yacht (a small one), 15,000 cotton swabs, and 2 cans leftover from a 6-pack of 'Duff Lite'.

    I'm pretty sure Tom Cruise has finally gotten over his envy of me.
    ;o)

    >>...Channeling Cap'n Jack ... a take on my 'space in your space, space in your head' blog ... the graveyard shift from hell?

    Not channeling because the only "Cap'n" I know is "Crunch". Not sure I've seen the "space in your space" blog bit (gotta URL?). So, YES, it was the graveyard shift from hell!

    Broke a tooth last night; the arthritis in my wrists is really acting up these days; and I'm semi-sleep-deprived. So I am really a wreck right now and hardly know what I'm doing, much less writing.

    I'm sure I'm being "rewarded" for never having "intentionally hurt anyone".

    >>..."NEVER cheat on your memories."

    That's a great line, Babskiddo!

    Please Email the new P.O. Box address whenever you find the time. Thanks.

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  14. BR'ER MARC ~
    'Rocky & Bullwinkle' is outrageously witty and clever - truly the first cartoon really geared toward adults (and not the dumber ones either!)

    Your wife hates "Moose and Squirrel"? Dude, you do know, don't you, that's grounds for divorce? I'm pretty sure it's in the Bible somewhere... Didn't Jesus say that the only justification for divorce is adultery or blasphemy against Rocky and Bullwinkle? (I know I've seen it in MY copy of The Bible. I believe it's in the Neo-New Testament.)

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  15. I appreciate the hell out of the Spinal Tap title reference. And cheers to you for being a Waylon fan. There aren't enough of us left in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Waylon and Beer on "Tap"... life is good!

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have a goatee? Now that's sexy. Grey hair means your distinguished. Sexy and distinguished beats Y & S any day. Now, add that smile.

    TC is 50 and he colors his hair. What a weenie. He should be so lucky.

    'Space in my space' blog bit leads in with Patti LaBelle - gotta post something else and get those 80's Disco Divas out of town.

    Try not to let the 'graveyards' get you down. Get some rest. Take care of yourself. Only 2 more days right?

    ReplyDelete
  18. BABSKIDDO ~
    Yeah, I realized soon after publishing my last comment to you that the "space in my space" blog bit was a reference to your last post ...which I had already visited and (weirdly) commented on.

    Ya gotta realize that these "graveyard" shifts have me operating far below my normal stage of mental acuity. In other words, I'm even slower and dimmer than usual, and just barely hanging on.

    Yeah, 2 more days of this crap before 2 days off, but then the cycle of crap starts right up again. This is no way for a nice guy like me to live.

    "Give me my rapture TODAY!"

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, Mr. TMc! I, too, LOVE Rocky and Bullwinkle! I even posted something on my blog about them...uh, maybe a year ago? I'll have to look and get back to ya. And you know I LOVE Andy's show....and I've seen the episodes...many times, that you mentioned! OMG...I love the old B&W Andy's, with Barney. AFter Barney left, it wasn't worth watching anymore....*sigh*
    I also like some Waylon. My music likes are quite varied. I have about 10 different Play Lists for my blog. If you click on the Pop Out button, you can see, and obviously listen to, a ton of great songs! OKay...on the rest of your answers....I must admit I just skimmed through them, because I AM trying to get to bed sometime fairly soon...and I have miles of blogs to see before I sleep.....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stephen, I found the Rocky & Bullwinkle blog post: http://beckypovich.blogspot.com/2010/08/fractured-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. BECKY ~
    My love of Rocky & Bullwinkle runs so deep that you'll often find the expression "Hokey-Smoke" used in my blog bits and comments (even Chauncey and Edgar have popped up once or twice).

    Also, a large percentage of my blog installments have two titles as in... well... THIS ONE for instance:

    The "Eleven, One Louder" (Or, "Eleven Questions In The Eleventh Hour") is a nod to Rocky & Bullwinkle and how the episodes would always end with two potential titles (e.g., "Tune in next time for: Eye Of The Needle or A Stitch In Time Saves Lives" - you know, something along those lines).

    And I couldn't agree with you more about The Andy Griffith Show. Don Knotts (Barney) left after 5 seasons, and by coincidence the show went from Black & White to color at the start of the 6th season. Meaning that (the vast majority of) the episodes in color are not worth spending time on.

    There is just a small handful of exceptions to that rule. I have Seasons 1-6 on DVD, none of the others. And the only reason I bought Season 6 is because Barney makes a return visit in a couple episodes and because I DO like the episode with Malcolm Merriweather in it, and the one titled 'The Battle Of Mayberry'.

    The rest of 'em? Pshaw!

    [Thanks for visiting, Becky!]

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  22. Was checking out Jubilant Sykes albums on Amazon when I happened upon your review... and other reviews... I LOL'ed through so much of it, I googled/followed you here. Your "Supersalad" story capped it all as I almost couldn't stop GOL'ing at that one. God has greatly gifted you with a humorous and sound mind. I hope you do continue to bless people with your writing even if it won't be in this blog. Thanks for all the laughs tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey, NEARSIGHTED ~
    Thanks a lot - I needed that! (It's been a tough past few months for me.)

    Oh yes, Jubilant Sykes. I still own an LP (remember those?) - the Santa Monica Unified School District's 'Stairway Of The Stars, 1973' concert - in which Jubilant soloed in a few songs when he was still in junior high school. Unfortunately, I haven't had anything to play this record on for a long time.

    'Great God A'Mighty' and 'Sit Down, Servant' are two of the songs I recall Jubilant being featured in. (Of course that was back before anyone had discovered that the Constitution our Founding Fathers had blessed us with precluded any mention of God in public schools.)

    Thanks again for your comment, it helped to brighten a kind of dark time for me.

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  24. I forgot to copy the link to the blog you sent me. So, I just logged in and started reading.

    I know that you hate these sort of Q&As, but I must say you give the best answers.

    I read that bit about your behind three times. I think I've been watching too much Family Feud. That show has become very dirty. Darn near every answer relates somehow to private parts or dirty something.

    Anyway, I am sorry that you had to have surgery on your behind. On the plus side, someone would always know it is you in the dark. hahahaha.

    Not that you asked, but I have this birthmark on my right forearm. It is so red that it borders on purple. Anyway, when I was in the 8th grade it started to "raise" so my parents took me to a doctor and the verdict was "remove." So, then I had a scar. Now the pernicious birthmark is growing back. So, I have splotches of purple and a scar.

    The nicknames bit also explained a lot. Never understood what the hubcaps business was about until today. And I thought I knew you so well... Turns out you are still this HUGE mystery.

    That story about your cousin reminded me of this:

    http://yourdailydose-robin.blogspot.com/2010/02/just-day-at-beach.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. ROBIN
    (or GIRL WONDER, or SWEET ADELINE) ~

    Thanks! I always tried to give good... answers.

    Interesting about the birthmark as I have a large brown one on my LEFT forearm. When I was very young my Ma was really worried that other kids would tease me about it and she inquired about having it removed. The doctor told her it was better not to mess with it and that it probably would never cause me any problems.

    The doctor was right. No one ever teased me about it (and it wouldn't have bothered me if they had). But people would sometimes ask what it was, so I began inventing wildly bogus stories to explain how it got there. Ha! It probably helped me develop my imagination.

    Thanks for the URL. I'll check out your blog bit.

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  26. I second the A Might Wind recommendation.
    I LOVED the restaurant story. You really had me wondering what "supersalad" was.

    ReplyDelete
  27. MATT ~
    Dang, dude, I haven't received a comment on this old, dead blog in ages! Thank you!

    "Supersalad" actually sounds pretty good. If any place ever created one, I'd be more than willing to try it.

    As Eeyore would say: "Thanks for noticing me."

    ~ D-FensDogG
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.