Friday, December 23, 2011

THE WORLD’S SILLIEST CHRISTMAS TRADITION! (Won’t You Please Join Us?)

.


Who cares about "shopping days"? What matters is "blogging days"! And two "blogging days" were lost to me due to a bug in the Blogspot system which prevented me from accessing my Dashboard. That means I was unable to approve, post, and respond to comments left for me; unable to post new blog bits; and unable to read YOUR blog bits.

Thanks to the same someone who saved my blog earlier this year, it seems I am back in the saddle sleigh again! But this particular blog bit shoulda been posted here the day before yesterday. DOH! Don'tcha hate it when that doesn't happen?

If you feel I have been ignoring your blog bits, please know that I have neglected you only because I WAS BUGGED-OUT! But I am determined to read the blogs that I “Follow” as soon as possible. In the meantime, there’s this wonderful opportunity I am making available to you:

I am a collector of quotations and I actually copy and store my favorites. I love all sorts of quotes, from the spiritual and religious (think: Yeshua, C.S. Lewis, and Joel Goldsmith), to the inspirational and patriotic (think: Booker T. Washington, Henry Thoreau, and Patrick Henry), to the humorous and super-silly (think: Mark Twain, Cheech Y Chong, and that Wino Woman on Venice Beach).

If I were asked to select what, to me, is the all-time most amusing quote, I believe I’d have to run with this:

“Most of all, I’d love to see Christ come back to crush the spirit of hate and make men put down their guns.
I’d also like just one more hit single.”
~ Tiny Tim
[Interviewed by Harold Ramis for
Playboy magazine, June, 1970]

If you don’t find that funny, then I guess you and I are just different. As in apples & oranges different, as in cats & dogs different. Different as in Laurel & Hardy, Jane Fonda & Ann Coulter, Karl Marx & George Mason.

George Mason? Uhm . . . well, don’t worry about it. Never mind - he really doesn’t matter much anymore.

Anyway, the Tiny Tim quote brings us to the purpose of this blog bit and my appeal to you to join what is almost certainly the silliest, long-running Christmas tradition "in the whole United States of Georgia!"



I’ll keep this short, and provide links at the bottom if anyone really wants to learn the history of this tradition and its preposterous details. But in a Tiny Nutshell, here’s what I’m asking you to do:

Sometime on Christmas Day (December 25th, in your time zone), please drop a coin, any coin (penny, nickel, dime, whatever) into a body of water and MAKE A WISH FOR TINY TIM. (Yes, Tiny Tim, the One-Hit Wonder who gave us the song Tip-Toe Thru The Tulips With Me back in 1968.)

Just say something along the lines of: “I wish Tiny Tim will score just one more hit song.”

That’s all there is to it.

From year to year, lots of people say they’re going to do this but, sadly, very few actually remember to. However, so far, seven people really have done it properly and have had their names added to ‘The Tiny Tim Wish Fulfillment Team’ roster. [See the link below.]

In the past, there have been some minor misunderstandings and I want to clear those up right now, because unless you do it correctly, I am constrained from adding your name to the ‘Tiny Tim Wish Fulfillment Team’ list - much as I'd like to. There are only 2 rules and they are very simple:

1) The wish must be made sometime (day or night) on Christmas Day, wherever you are. Not on Christmas Eve, not on the day after Christmas, not on any of the other 362 days in the year. It can only be made on Christmas Day, December 25th.

2) Also, you must drop a coin into a body of water when you make the wish. You can’t just say or think, “I wish Tiny Tim would have one more hit song”; you must simultaneously drop a coin in water while you are saying or thinking that wish. And I don’t care what sort of body of water you use - a wishing well, the ocean, a lake, your swimming pool, a puddle of rain water formed against the curb of Garden Grove Boulevard [that was for you, Karen!], a glass of tap water – It’z all good . . . provided it’z wet.

That’s all there is to it, friends. Make the wish, do it right, let me know you did it right, and I will immediately add your name to the 'Tiny Tim Wish Fulfillment Team' honor roll.

Someday, when Tiny Tim “miraculously” scores that second hit single, we will all know that it was really us - ‘The Tiny Tim Wish Fulfillment Team' - that made it happen for him!

Who will join The Team next? Who will be #8?
And then who will be #9... #9... #9... #9...?

C'mon, people, come out an' play with me!

Ukulelely Yours . . .

~ Stephen T. McCarthy

Related Links:

THE MAKERS OF ‘MOTHER CROAKER’S HEMORRHOID OINTMENT’ PRESENT . . .
[See the heading ‘Here’s The Gig’]

TINY TIM'S CHRISTMAS ALBUM [Join The Tiny Tim Wish Fulfillment Team!]

ORIGINAL 'TINY TIM WISHING SITE' [Photo Gallery]

MAKE A WISH FOR TINY TIM - The Early Years
[How And When It All Got Started]

YE OLDE COMMENT POLICY: All comments, pro and con, are welcome. However, ad hominem attacks and disrespectful epithets will not be tolerated (read: "posted"). After all, this isn’t Amazon.com, so I don’t have to put up with that kind of bovine excrement.
.

4 comments:

  1. I was already on it. I don't want to get kicked off the TTWFT.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to worry, McSheboyganboybrother! Once you're on The Team, you're on The Team for life!

    Nevertheless, a traditional, yearly wish would mean that Nappy and I aren't the only insane mofos doin' it for Tiny. (I think there's a very fine line between insanity and genius. If I were more famous, had more money, and played electric guitar, perhaps I'd be considered the latter rather than the former[?].)

    Happy Baby Jesus Day to ya, McBuddy!

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always I let you down for this, but as always the thought crossed my mind more than once that day. Let's see I was in New Jersey that day, but I don't remember much of what all we did. All I know we had another flurry of hustle-bustle activity for the 2 weeks around Christmas, including 8 days of driving 5 or 6 thousand miles.

    At least that's my excuse and I can live with it. Maybe I'll make it up during the A to Z Challenge. I've already written a Tiny Tim post for the letter T.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  4. >>...As always I let you down for this, but as always the thought crossed my mind more than once that day.

    Not to worry: your annual letting me down about that has become a PART of the tradition!

    At this point, if you actually followed through with it, I think I'd probably be REALLY let down.
    [;o)}

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.