Wednesday, December 30, 2009

ARK, BOOK & CANDLE [Photo Gallery]

.
It wasn't one of my A-List Blog Bits. It might not have even been one of my B-List Blog Bits, so y'all might not even remember it at all. But late December last year, I posted a Blog Bit here at STUFFS titled 'Ark, Book & Candle (Or, The ABCs Of Xmas Decorating)'. The title was kind of a spin on the name of a 1958 movie - a romantic-comedy called 'Bell, Book And Candle' starring Jimmy Stewart, Kim Novak, Jack Lemmon, Ernie Kovacs, and Floyd The Barber. (I sometimes wonder if you folks are picking up on all the stuffs I slip into STUFFS.)

Anyway, the Blog Bit was about this house here in Phoenix which displays my favorite illuminated outdoor Christmas decorations. The house and its front yard are not especially large, and there are plenty more homes in The Valley Of The Sun which use more lights, making their displays more extravagant. But it is the uniqueness of this particular display which has made it my favorite in town, and a place regularly visited by me at least one night every Christmas season.

The decorations are evidently handmade but they look just great, particularly at night. Included are the signs "King Of Kings" and "Lord Of Lords", a couple of Candles, a replica of The Ark Of The Covenant, and (my favorite) on the roof, The Holy Bible, open to the Old Testament prophecy about the future arrival of the Baby who would become the Savior of the world: "Unto Us Is Born This Day A Child."

Unfortunately, last year I did not have the tools and the know-how to post photographs of this house with my Blog Bit. However, this year, I made two special trips to the house (once in the nighttime and once in the daytime) with my Brother's cell phone/camera, so I could actually SHOW y'all what this house looks like. After all, a picture paints a lot of words. (I don't know how many words because, as you know by now, my math stinks. But I know it's a lot of 'em.)

Below is the house as it looks under the golden Airheadzona December Sun:
.

.
Here she is all lit up in splendor. Although the words of The Bible can't be read in this photograph due to the glare from the lights, I assure you that they are quite clear and legible when you are standing in front of or driving by the house.
.

.
Here's a closeup of The Bible in the daylight:
.

.
And here's a closeup at night:
.

.
Here's a closer closeup at night. [If I'd had a ladder I would have taken a closeup while standing on their roof and pretending to be a reindeer.] :
.

.
And lastly, here's an oblique view, showing all three: Ark, Book & Candle.
.

.
These people do it up right. I'm both proud and jealous of 'em. And not only do they have the most original Christmas decorations I've seen in town, but (despite what I jokingly said in last year's Blog Bit), their house is decorated with an exceptional sense of "Balance."

*Very nicely done, you Good People on West Thunderbird Road. Very nicely done! (And "Thank You" for brightening up my Christmas.)

~ Stephen T. McCarthy
Doggtor Of Photographic Drive-Bys

Postscript: And I thank you too, Nappy, for the use of yer cell phone camera.

Link:
ARK, BOOK & CANDLE (Or, The ABCs Of Xmas Decorating) -- Original Blog Bit.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.